Caulerpa light 24/7 or reverse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Caulerpa light 24/7 or reverse?

I have had my tank set-up and running for a while now and i recently got some caulerpa in the sump, which i was lucky enough to be given.

I have heard that it can go sexual and die and then put back all the nasties that it has soaked up back into the tank!!!

I was told that you should have the light on for 24/7 and only on reverse cycle?

I see the benefits of it being on 24/7 as it will grow more and hopefully take up more of the nasties, and also it will not cause a ph crash when the lights go out on the main tank.

The benefit of having it on reverse cycle is that you put the lights to come on one hour before/after the main light come on/off, so in this way there wont be a ph crash in the tank.

I was told that it doesnt matter which way you have it as long as you 'pinch' it back every so often like once a week to once a fortnight bedending on growth.

So what do you guys do and what do you recommend?

Thanx,
Andrew

AFAIK, lighting it 24/7 lessens the chances that it will go sexual and die on you. Mine is in the tank with some of the coral frags and is lit on the regular schedule. I mow it about once a week and, so far, haven't had any problems.

yeah i have mine lit for 24/7 as it also means i can see things when i look in the cabinet, another benefit :D . What should i do if i want the caulerpa to grow more as at the mo there is only a little clump and i would like it to cover all the area i have set out for it?
also when i do mow it do i 'pinch' the whole leaf off, so at the stem, or just part of the leaf?

Good luck trying to stop if from growing. That stuff is the aquatic version of kudzu. I just pinch a few inches off about once a week. You don't want to cut it back to nothing.

Back
Top Bottom