Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

My chaeto does this as well, but I'm of the opinion that it's either fragments from when I trim for nutrient export, or a natural process. It's not been much of a problem for me though as I've just let them drift till they find a nice spot to get stuck (often times in the pre-filter screen for my skimmer) and start growing their own colonies or until I get annoyed enough to pull 'em out. By the way, don't be surprised if it doesn't keep a nice tidy ball shape to it, mine looks more like wild shrubbery now.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The whole point of this macro algae is to export nutrients. You have to remove it from the tank to accomplish this anyway so don't stress about the pieces just take them out an throw them away and the phosphates and nitrates with them. get a mass the size you want it and just keep it pruned.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
is back to save the day!

I don't really know if you can make a ball out of the scrap pieces.. but you can try?? lol.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I don't really know if you can make a ball out of the scrap pieces.. but you can try?? lol.
LOL I was jk, but if I kept saving all the pieces I might actually make a small one out of them LOL
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
The whole point of this macro algae is to export nutrients. You have to remove it from the tank to accomplish this anyway so don't stress about the pieces just take them out an throw them away and the phosphates and nitrates with them. get a mass the size you want it and just keep it pruned.
Hey.. Can you elaborate on this? Why do we have to remove the Cheato.. I thought just having the Macro in the Fuge accomplised this; as well as keeping Nitrates down?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
Thanx but no.....

It does.. but as it consumes the nitrates/presumably phosphates it grows.. You just need to trim it back when it gets over grown. So the statement is accurate although I understand your confusion at the wording.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand now.....Thanks!!

I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly

Tags
chaeto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com