Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I have had success with a chaeto ball in the main tank. I just make a small ball of it and tie it together with a thread. Put it on a lettuce clip towards the back. It grows fine and the added benefit is my tangs like to nibble on it.
Cool, thanks for your input! I had an idea... feel free to tell me no if it's a bad idea. <--I don't even think I need to say that (... mr_X! (o_O) HA!!) Can I just put Chaeto in my overflow box if i put a divider in there?? Like a secured thin sheet piece of bio sponge or something as a divider. It'll get plenty of water flow, it'll be separate from the tank, get light AND not get sucked up by the intake b/c the bio sponge will stop it??

So... I bought a sheet of filter sock as my store didn't have the size sock for my pipe to my sump & I don't have any (screw-type) threads to hold it on as they had plastic rings as the base. I just cut two sheets the size of the filter box above the bio balls & laid them in there doubled-up, they're 100 micron each. Also, took out most of the bio balls (I'll take the rest out in a few days depending on how testing goes) & moved some of my small piece-y pieces of live rock down there. I'll get some more live rock for the main tank. Totally forgot to ask about purchasing Chaeto at the store. My protein skimmer seems to be working well. My pH is coming up. YIPPEE!! Getting ready to do today's big water change. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE!! I appreciate it very much!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would think if there is light present and you started with a small ball, that would work. Just keep it trimmed and don't let it interfere with the overflow.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
where are you located tango? I could send you some. Just pay for shipping.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I would think if there is light present and you started with a small ball, that would work. Just keep it trimmed and don't let it interfere with the overflow.
That is a big honor... I highly appreciate that. I'll private MSG you details. Gotta tell ya, w/ my big water change today, everything came down great (my water params)... very exciting!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Easiest stuff In the world to ship. Get with Mr_X or any of us, we always have some. I threw a bucket full away last week.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Easiest stuff In the world to ship. Get with Mr_X or any of us, we always have some. I threw a bucket full away last week.
That is super sweet of y'all! I'll have to MSG my info my info from my home computer as my "smartphone" is acting up! Ugh. Typical. If any y'all need some graphic design help, LMK! I do it for fun most of the time! HA!! I'm hoping when my tank gets beeeeautiful, I can pick back up w/ my photography where I left off... I get so head over heels w/ hobbies, they take over my mind! I'm sure y'all can sympathize!

Tags
chaeto, nitrate, plant, plants, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com