Chaeto pieces in DT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive had chaeto algae in the refugium now for a couple of weeks. Just recently I've noticed small pieces of it in the display tank. It's not all clumped together like when I first got it. I've been putting the light, a 9 watt compact fluro in the home depot aluminum shade clamp on fixture, when the lights are out in the main tank. Why is it breaking up? Not enough light? Not long enough with the light?

Steve

I`ve seen other threads that say it breaks up too easy. I`ve seen reports of it being too brittle. Nine watts is really not enough lighting for a macro algea.

Just get you one of those clip on lights from Home depot. If I had to do it over that`s what I would do. Right now I have a 194 watt compact flourecents over it. I cant remember what they are called but those bowl like fixtures with a clamp.. Cant rememer the wattage they take but I`m sure someone will post it here. It`s the way I`m going next time.

Yes, that's the one I have but I only have 9 watt compact fluro in there. I'll go back there today and see what the highest they have for that fixture.

Steve

I have a 192w PC light fixture I was going to use on my refug. It would fit perfect on my 20g long tank sump. The bulbs were lit for about a year and I know the spectrum changes but would I have to change the bulbs just for cheat algae or am I good? Didn't mean to steal from the post, I just thought it was relevant to the algae and lighting

I had plenty of macro growing in my sump with a 27w CF (6.7k). It doesn't need a lot of light, but I wouldn't try less than an 18w cfl.

I'm using a 13w 50/50 from Wal-Mart on my cheato and I have good growth and no breaking up of any kind.
Oh, and I'm am also using the aluminium clip on from HomeDepot/

Last edited:
Well, it seems the stronger light and longer duration have solved the issue. The Chaeto is growing. At what point do you trim the algae? It's not quite filled the refugium but I suspect that in a few more days it will. Thanks...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom