Change to reef setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim D

Aquarium Advice Regular
At the moment running set with undergravel filter and a skimmer but want to change to reef setup. This means getting rid of undergavel filter. I only have one tank. Can I change this setup gradully, syphoning off and then use r/o water to topup......removing live sand a bit at a time then take out the filter. Don't want to have to cycle tank again. It's a 30 gallon tank and about the same in live rock. And can this be done with my fish still in tank or is this idea a no no.

I just took one look at shop tank and I thought this is for me..... :lol:

If the undergravel filter plate is pretty well hidden from view, you could just turn it off, remove the lift tubes and let the plate under the substrate. You would have an air pocket under the sand and wouldn't benefit from the denitrifying bacteria that grow in a deep sand bed but I don't have a DSB in my 20 gallon and my nitrates are always zero. That's just one solution.

thanks for the idea jackdp. I was hoping to keep most of my sand bed although I don't fancy any air pockets where future problems may occur.

Back
Top Bottom