Changed Again -sorry-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaria

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi peoples,

I changed my idea again, off the scorp tank now.

My new idea is a Shallow, Rimless, "Touch Tank", some of the things in the
aquarium, visitors will be able to touch.
Here are my lists:

Fish List:
Yellow Tang
Clownfish (pair?)

Invertebrate:
Red/Blue Fromia Starfish
Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
RBTA/GBTA Anemones
Clam (not sure what kind yet)

It is possible to touch some of the things in the aquarium,
How should I filter the aquarium?
Anything I should Add/Take Away?

Uhm.. touch? Why would you want to touch the fish? That seems kind of odd to me. Plus.. there's no way anyone will ever be able to touch the yellow tang because they will never catch it. That goes for pretty much any fish.. The videos you see on youtube of people "petting" their fish is just them getting lucky.. or having their fish for a very long time and the fish associates their hands with feeding, so they care less. Anything like that won't happen overnight.. and won't happen within a year.. so having a "Touch Tank" just seems kind of pointless to me.

Plus, why would you want people to touch your fish or to stick their hands in your tank? How would you know what they have been touching beforehand, or if they washed their hands with soap. Sorry.. but the idea of something like a Touch Tank seems really risky.

Uhm.. touch? Why would you want to touch the fish? That seems kind of odd to me. Plus.. there's no way anyone will ever be able to touch the yellow tang because they will never catch it. That goes for pretty much any fish.. The videos you see on youtube of people "petting" their fish is just them getting lucky.. or having their fish for a very long time and the fish associates their hands with feeding, so they care less. Anything like that won't happen overnight.. and won't happen within a year.. so having a "Touch Tank" just seems kind of pointless to me.

Plus, why would you want people to touch your fish or to stick their hands in your tank? How would you know what they have been touching beforehand, or if they washed their hands with soap. Sorry.. but the idea of something like a Touch Tank seems really risky.
What if no one was allowed to touch it, and that whole touch idea was gone?

I don't know much about the others, but a Yellow Tang would not be a good idea.

1. They need at least 75 gallons to swim about as they please, and the height confinements wouldn't be right for this fish. :-(

Plus, why would you want people to touch your fish or to stick their hands in your tank? How would you know what they have been touching beforehand, or if they washed their hands with soap.
The risk of Little Timmy reaching in with soapy hands and trying to grab the tang is too great. Although this is a hardy species, any tropical fish would die of carelessness and shock unless the tank be supervised constantly.

A touch tank sounds like a cool thing to have, but may be best reserved for those with the time and knowledge to mantain it.

I don't know much about the others, but a Yellow Tang would not be a good idea.

1. They need at least 75 gallons to swim about as they please, and the height confinements wouldn't be right for this fish. :-(

The risk of Little Timmy reaching in with soapy hands and trying to grab the tang is too great. Although this is a hardy species, any tropical fish would die of carelessness and shock unless the tank be supervised constantly.

A touch tank sounds like a cool thing to have, but may be best reserved for those with the time and knowledge to mantain it.
ok so no Tang, And i alredy stated that i was not going to do a touch
tank, but still open, and rimless, there are no visitors that come to the
house that are little/young enough to actually stick there hands in the
aquarium.
Is there any other fish that I could put in it other than clownfish, since thats
alreasy on the list?

100_0959.JPG

As you can see from the yellow tang they have a scalpel like bone that is near the tail. These fish are also called surgeon fish because of that sharp knife like appendage. You dont want to put your hand in there or you might get it stabbed.

What size tank do you plan on building? Shallow Rimless tanks are more expensive than regular tanks.. and you can customize them pretty well depending on where your buying it from. So i think asking us what fish would go well together before we even knew what size tank it was, wouldn't be all that easy. Also, are you planning on making this a reef system? Fowlr? fish only? Give us more details! :)

What size tank do you plan on building? Shallow Rimless tanks are more expensive than regular tanks.. and you can customize them pretty well depending on where your buying it from. So i think asking us what fish would go well together before we even knew what size tank it was, wouldn't be all that easy. Also, are you planning on making this a reef system? Fowlr? fish only? Give us more details! :)
Sorry,
In my other threads of ideas it says most of the info, but I'll say it here also,
I'm going to be building a 150 gallon shallow rimless aquarium.
If I do have enough extra money I'll try to get T5's so it can be a reef
tank, other wise It will be a fowlr.

i'm lucky all of you are here to help me.

100_0959.JPG

As you can see from the yellow tang they have a scalpel like bone that is near the tail. These fish are also called surgeon fish because of that sharp knife like appendage. You dont want to put your hand in there or you might get it stabbed.
Ya but you told me to call of the Tangs, so I did.

That was me. :p

And the fact that you are planning on a 150 gallon changes things completely. A look-in shallow reef tank would be incredible, with maybe an anemone for the clownfish, but then again, money does not grow on trees!

That was me. :p

And the fact that you are planning on a 150 gallon changes things completely. A look-in shallow reef tank would be incredible, with maybe an anemone for the clownfish, but then again, money does not grow on trees!
lol not to be mean or offensive, but just beacause you can look in it
makes it more expensive?

Well I'm going to try to do it.
NOW FOR SOME POSSITIVE ADDITITUDE!:smilecolros:
So yea... I have some help of money to make it, plus I just made a CD of
My music that I'm planning to sell very cheap, and I know just the right places
to sell them.
And My stock list does include an anemone (RBTA/GTBA), to make you even happier.

No, the 150 gallon capacity, corals, and everything else that goes into a reef makes it expensive. O_O

My LFS has shallow "touch" tanks as in, you can easily grab something out if wanted. It is hard to see things by looking in though. I would not go with a shallow tank for the purpose of looking down into it. The shimmer on the water makes everything look distorted.

Also, you ought to see MY fish when MY hand gets near the water! OUCH! My clownfish BRUTALLY and I mean BRUTALLY attack me! If I try to do ANYTHING in that tank I get little bites all over! They ram me very hard and BITE and have a frenzy!

I just got some new rocks to put in and that took hours to do with the fish attacking me relentlessly! Who knew clowns could be so mean? They looked like piranna!
Matt

My LFS has shallow "touch" tanks as in, you can easily grab something out if wanted. It is hard to see things by looking in though. I would not go with a shallow tank for the purpose of looking down into it. The shimmer on the water makes everything look distorted.

Also, you ought to see MY fish when MY hand gets near the water! OUCH! My clownfish BRUTALLY and I mean BRUTALLY attack me! If I try to do ANYTHING in that tank I get little bites all over! They ram me very hard and BITE and have a frenzy!

I just got some new rocks to put in and that took hours to do with the fish attacking me relentlessly! Who knew clowns could be so mean? They looked like piranna!
Matt
ohh, but it would still have the effect of a tide pool. The point isn't to
touch things anymore, its to look down.
And you would also have to ability to see from three different sides.
I still like the idea of looking down into it though.

No, the 150 gallon capacity, corals, and everything else that goes into a reef makes it expensive. O_O
ok, that makes more sence.
well I wont start it up and have everything in it at once so I wont need all
the money at once.
Do you think It would be cheaper to buy one or make it?

And to answer your question before...

The ammount of glass needed for an aquarium will raise price.

Let's say you wanted a volume of 8 units.

For a cube = The bottom and sides would equate to 20 square units added together.

For a shallow tank with volume of 8 say 1 unit deap, area of bottom and sides would equate to 26 square units.

Therefore, it'll cost more money for a shallower tank. You may be better off ordering one online, unless you are really up to making one.

But wont it be the same than if I order it online?
And the price to make it would go up anyways because I would always need glass.
Sorry I just don't get what you'r saying.

That was just a failed attempt of me trying to explain that a shallow tank costs more then a rectangular.

I would order it online.

That was just a failed attempt of me trying to explain that a shallow tank costs more then a rectangular.

I would order it online.
Ya but one problem is that, I need specific dimesnsions or else it probably wont work.

Back
Top Bottom