Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
So currently I have a 10g saltwater aquarium with 12-15 lbs live rock.
I have the Maxijet 400 and 600 at opposite ends of the tank for current.

Stock:
2x Clown fish
3x Hermit Crabs
2x nassisus snails

I want to move the animals into a 20g high tank and put an overflow box on it.
Then I would like to put the current 10g tank with live rock and sand under with the heater and a return pump in it. I also want to add a UV sterilizer to the 10g.

I know it doesn't have baffles or a protein skimmer but would this work?
If not, the why? I don't really have the space to go bigger and I want to maximize what I current own.

You don't need a protein skimmer with anything under 30 gallons.

Ok, does everything else sound okay? I know that it will give my fish more real estate and I'm hoping will help with the overall look of the tank.

Yes. You have great circulation (I have a thirty gal with just one power head) and if the chemical levels are good in the ten then they should be just fine in the twenty. Are you putting any live rock in the 20?

I have thought about it. I was going to see if it were necessary. If its not necessary then I might not or I though that I would create a nice aquascape from dry rock where I could eventually place some corals.

Rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 pounds of live rock per one gallon. In all you have thirty gallons if water. I would make sure you have close to thirty pounds of live rock in the tanks. Maybe 10 in the 20 gal and 20 in the 10 gal. But you might be able to run it with the uv light with just 10 lbs. not too sure

I was looking at possibly getting a phosphate reactor instead of the UV sterilizer. Would that be better? worse? the same?

I don't have something to test the phosphates in the water but my ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels all test normal (0 ppm)

Your getting out my my comfort range for advice. I'd hate to give you advice and it be wrong. Sorry

Yes a reactor would be much better. IMO uv sterilizer are for fw not salt.

I have an extra HOB filter....could I put phosphate remover media in the HOB filter and use that instead of a phosphate reactor?

Here is my (Childlike) plans for changing my 10g.

Please let me know if this will work or if it won't

Attachments

• SumpRefugium.jpg
    SumpRefugium.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom