Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

changin over my 220g fresh to salt

I have about 30 years exp. with fresh water systems, none with salt. my main concern is filtration. I know that a sump is the best way to go, but drilling holes in the tank would be very hard. Could I be successful with salt water with a strong canister system and lots of water movement.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could try hang on overflows, all the benefits of a sump without drilling!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you dont like hang on the back overflows, you could go with a large canister like a fluval FX5 or a Fluval G6. You would need to add a hang on the back protein skimmer.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did the same thing as you on a smaller scale, and was also nervous about drilling my tank so I purchased a hang on overflow. Honestly it makes a huge difference to the ease of everything with the tank, once you get it set up. There are many different ones out there so read some reviews and see which ones are best, and quietest! The one I got I cheaped out on and it is as noisy as ever. Also I wouldn't suggest trying to DIY something like this, you could and many have done it successfully, however if it doesn't work or fails, stuff gets wet...
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by th08tu View Post
I did the same thing as you on a smaller scale, and was also nervous about drilling my tank so I purchased a hang on overflow. Honestly it makes a huge difference to the ease of everything with the tank, once you get it set up. There are many different ones out there so read some reviews and see which ones are best, and quietest! The one I got I cheaped out on and it is as noisy as ever. Also I wouldn't suggest trying to DIY something like this, you could and many have done it successfully, however if it doesn't work or fails, stuff gets wet...
How safe are the overflows? If the syphon ever stops you have water every where. The syphon might stop during power outages. I imagine companies that make overflows took all these points into consideration during the design phase. Is there a box out there that is pretty much fail safe?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsomepopcorn View Post
If you dont like hang on the back overflows, you could go with a large canister like a fluval FX5 or a Fluval G6. You would need to add a hang on the back protein skimmer.
any disadvantages to the canisters? I heard lots of live rock and good water movement around the tank and rock would help u b sucessful with a canister setup
Old 01-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #7

Any disadvantages to the canister set up ? I heard that lots of live rock and good water movement will help support the cannister setup
Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
drilling the tank, which may seem like a major thing, is quite easy. it's so much better than using a HOB overflow. no, there is no HOB box that is 100% safe.
while steps can be taken to narrow the margin of error, there is still a chance.

also, no one makes a HOB skimmer powerful enough to handle a 220. if you don't mind seeing them, you could hang 2 HOB skimmers on the back and just rely on those and your live rock for filtration. you don't even need a cannister filter.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #9

My tank is built in a wall and I service it from the back storage room so I dont mind things hanging off the back. I will check out the link for help, thanks for the info Doug
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
that's my signature. that wasn't meant for you really. you'll see it at the bottom of all my posts. i mean..if it helps, great, but i think what you need is a pair of these-
Super Reef Octopus XP 1000S CONE Hang-on-Back Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

Tags
20 gallon, fresh, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com