Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep or you can get a Refractometer if you're planning on going reef in the future. But a hydrometer will do for fish only.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredspider
I'd be spending 350 dollars on the tank, two lights, two emperor 500 bio wheel filters, a wet-dry bioball filter, two under the tank wavemakers, and a tank stand. Would I only need live rock and live sand to start the tank?
For the creatures you wish to keep, you will need to scrap most of that and upgrade. Live rock alone replaces the wet-dry filter, and for the most part the biowheels too. Will need new lights, more flow most likely and on a 150g if your not running a skimmer then your gonna have nitrate issues and 15g a week water change wont cut it.

Not trying to dissuade you from the 150 just letting you know what your getting into if you want nems in that tank. Its more money than has been suggested.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

For the creatures you wish to keep, you will need to scrap most of that and upgrade. Live rock alone replaces the wet-dry filter, and for the most part the biowheels too. Will need new lights, more flow most likely and on a 150g if your not running a skimmer then your gonna have nitrate issues and 15g a week water change wont cut it.

Not trying to dissuade you from the 150 just letting you know what your getting into if you want nems in that tank. Its more money than has been suggested.
I think he is going starting off as Fish only. I didn't have a skimmer on my FO and had only 5 nitrates.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

I think he is going starting off as Fish only. I didn't have a skimmer on my FO and had only 5 nitrates.
Well if fish only then yes not much wrong. 5 nitrates is not bad but no system is the same. Im sure your system varies from the one hes purchasing. For fish only i would not worry much about a skimmer, depends on your bioload and feeding routine. Not absolutely necessary but a skimmer is your best friend, especially when dealing with a large reef.

Not knocking your tank or anything like that, just trying to say it wont work for everyone and every situation. So many more variables than skimmer or no skimmer.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was planning on starting out with a one fire fish (suggestions on any other starting fish?) and a CUC and after six months add a nem. Then I would add clowns once the nem is settled. Eventually I want to add the goby pistol pair but idk how long I have to wait for that.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I was planning on starting out with a one fire fish (suggestions on any other starting fish?) and a CUC and after six months add a nem. Then I would add clowns once the nem is settled. Eventually I want to add the goby pistol pair but idk how long I have to wait for that.
With a nem you will 'need' intense lighting. So plan for that. Are you planning this in the 29 or 150?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am planning this in the 150. Would a clown host torch coral so I don't have to get a nem?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am planning this in the 150. Would a clown host torch coral so I don't have to get a nem?
Its possible however the chances are slim. Also LPS corals generally to not accept clowns hosting them well. Clowns can be very rough and damage the soft polyp tissue. Some people dont have that problem but i would say the majority of the time its a problem long term.

Even for a torch your gonna need heavily upgraded lighting, for any corals your gonna need to upgrade lighting in that tank actually.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I would need to get a nem to host a clown?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I would need to get a nem to host a clown?
Dont need to. Clowns dont need a host they will host nearly anything if they want to host something. Ive seen clowns host rocks and they even try and feed the rock.

Basically if you want a natural host get nem. All other corals may be hosted but the likelihood is much smaller and as i said earlier it often can lead to damage to the hosted coral.

I have 2 clowns that host a toadstool they go pretty easy on it but i can tell that is affected by the relationship. You can get a torch and see what happens but just be aware of what can happen of they do host it.

But either way your looking at buying halide lighting or leds. Could be lighted with t5's but would require an 8 bulb fixture and nobody wants to pay that much to replace bulbs.

Btw is the 150 a 4 footer or a 6?

Tags
changing, freshwater, freshwater to saltwater, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com