Changing freshwater to saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armoredspider

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a great deal on a 150 gallon tank but it currently has a freshwater setup in it. How long would it take to transfer it to a saltwater setup? Should I just get a 29 gallon biocube setup instead? Both are all inclusive except the freshwater has no skimmer and is fifty dollars more.

Personally I'd go for the 150. I have a 55 and wish I had bigger. All you'd have to do is wash/scrub the tank with some vinegar water really well a couple of times, rinse well, and then start your SW tank. Easy as that!! :) then buy some sand, mix up your SW and add it, add LR and a heater and start cycling. Then you have a few weeks to get everything else around. Good luck.

I found a great deal on a 150 gallon tank but it currently has a freshwater setup in it. How long would it take to transfer it to a saltwater setup? Should I just get a 29 gallon biocube setup instead? Both are all inclusive except the freshwater has no skimmer and is fifty dollars more.

If 50 dollars matters then I suggest the 29g biocube. A 150g tank is a lot more expensive to stock and maintain. 150lbs of live rock alone will probably cost more than you paid for the entire setup just FYI. Also 15-30g water changes every week on a 150 will use up a lot of salt quickly compared to a 29g. So if money is a tight issue then go with the 29g. Hope that helps.

Could I still stock it with some mushroom corals, zoas, an anemone, a pair of clowns, and a pistol shrimp and goby pair?

I am also brand new to saltwater and the guy at my lfs said it can be easier than freshwater, no pouring in chemicals every day. Is this true?

Armoredspider said:
I am also brand new to saltwater and the guy at my lfs said it can be easier than freshwater, no pouring in chemicals every day. Is this true?

I ran freshwater for many many years (30+). What chemicals do you pour in everyday?
I deployed overseas for 6 months a few years back. Wife did not do a single water change and changed filters only monthly (so she said, I doubt it tho). Only thing she did was trim the plants as they grew. Everything was fine when I got back.
I would take EVERYTHING your LFS guy says with a grain of salt.
I believe salt water is more difficult than fresh. But it's worth it.

Ingy said:
I ran freshwater for many many years (30+). What chemicals do you pour in everyday?
I deployed overseas for 6 months a few years back. Wife did not do a single water change and changed filters only monthly (so she said, I doubt it tho). Only thing she did was trim the plants as they grew. Everything was fine when I got back.
I would take EVERYTHING your LFS guy says with a grain of salt.
I believe salt water is more difficult than fresh. But it's worth it.

I meant pouring in chemicals for the saltwater tank to get it balanced. The only chemicals I ever put in my tank are sodium bisophate (spelling?) and sodium bicarbonate for ph adjustments.

A 150 is awesome, until you look at the price of lights. 3 or 4 radions will run you 2k +. Or go t5 and shoot for 1k after bulbs. Metal halides would probably cheaper, but lack color variety like the first two, and the actinics on mh fixtures tend to be compact fluorescent, which means they'll be even less efficient.

I'm thinking of getting the biocube because of the size difference in water changes and cost. To get the 150 gallon I'd be doing extra chores for money every day of my life...

Armoredspider said:
Could I still stock it with some mushroom corals, zoas, an anemone, a pair of clowns, and a pistol shrimp and goby pair?

Would this stock plus a CUC work for a 29 gallon biocube?

I would say.... Maybe. It looks fine except the anemone in a while can take over the whole tang and sting and kill corals. Youd have to wait 6-12 months to add an anemone also. I would just get the 150. I have one, a lot more stocking options, I paid $500 for a T5 fixture 8 bulb.

Idk what all these other people are talking about. They make it seem as if it costs thousands to maintain a 150g tank. My suggestion is go for the 150g. You can get base rock which is only $2 a pound compared to live rock at $6-10 a pound. Lights will not cost you 2k. You can get 4 bulb t5s for $150. You can also go the fish only route and get lights for $50. Pool filter sand is $5 a for a 50 pound bag and you need 150 pounds. This was my 150g set up that I put about $800 into

Attachments

• image-829141876.jpg
    image-829141876.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 111
Ibrahim said:
Idk what all these other people are talking about. They make it seem as if it costs thousands to maintain a 150g tank. My suggestion is go for the 150g. You can get base rock which is only $2 a pound compared to live rock at $6-10 a pound. Lights will not cost you 2k. You can get 4 bulb t5s for $150. You can also go the fish only route and get lights for $50. Pool filter sand is $5 a for a 50 pound bag and you need 150 pounds. This was my 150g set up that I put about $800 into

Its true, you don't have to geek out on it. The awesome thing about this hobby is that you can do it on almost any budget. An anemone needs high light and good water quality, so that you might have to wait on, but that doesn't mean you can't start the tank.

Ibrahim said:

Is that real coral?

I'd be spending 350 dollars on the tank, two lights, two emperor 500 bio wheel filters, a wet-dry bioball filter, two under the tank wavemakers, and a tank stand. Would I only need live rock and live sand to start the tank?

Armoredspider said:
I'd be spending 350 dollars on the tank, two lights, two emperor 500 bio wheel filters, a wet-dry bioball filter, two under the tank wavemakers, and a tank stand. Would I only need live rock and live sand to start the tank?

Yep. And neither have to be live. You would be looking at $650 total costs for rock, sand, and salt. Maybe $700 for some other stuff like heaters, testing equipment, and a hydrometer.

Refractometer would be better. Only about $25 more and is 100% more accurate. Just to be safe, you don't want to waste $1000 because of salinity.

Back
Top Bottom