Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Changing freshwater to saltwater?

I found a great deal on a 150 gallon tank but it currently has a freshwater setup in it. How long would it take to transfer it to a saltwater setup? Should I just get a 29 gallon biocube setup instead? Both are all inclusive except the freshwater has no skimmer and is fifty dollars more.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally I'd go for the 150. I have a 55 and wish I had bigger. All you'd have to do is wash/scrub the tank with some vinegar water really well a couple of times, rinse well, and then start your SW tank. Easy as that!! then buy some sand, mix up your SW and add it, add LR and a heater and start cycling. Then you have a few weeks to get everything else around. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredspider View Post
I found a great deal on a 150 gallon tank but it currently has a freshwater setup in it. How long would it take to transfer it to a saltwater setup? Should I just get a 29 gallon biocube setup instead? Both are all inclusive except the freshwater has no skimmer and is fifty dollars more.
If 50 dollars matters then I suggest the 29g biocube. A 150g tank is a lot more expensive to stock and maintain. 150lbs of live rock alone will probably cost more than you paid for the entire setup just FYI. Also 15-30g water changes every week on a 150 will use up a lot of salt quickly compared to a 29g. So if money is a tight issue then go with the 29g. Hope that helps.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Could I still stock it with some mushroom corals, zoas, an anemone, a pair of clowns, and a pistol shrimp and goby pair?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am also brand new to saltwater and the guy at my lfs said it can be easier than freshwater, no pouring in chemicals every day. Is this true?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im no expert but from what ive read it is more expensive and more delicate.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredspider
I am also brand new to saltwater and the guy at my lfs said it can be easier than freshwater, no pouring in chemicals every day. Is this true?
I ran freshwater for many many years (30+). What chemicals do you pour in everyday?
I deployed overseas for 6 months a few years back. Wife did not do a single water change and changed filters only monthly (so she said, I doubt it tho). Only thing she did was trim the plants as they grew. Everything was fine when I got back.
I would take EVERYTHING your LFS guy says with a grain of salt.
I believe salt water is more difficult than fresh. But it's worth it.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy

I ran freshwater for many many years (30+). What chemicals do you pour in everyday?
I deployed overseas for 6 months a few years back. Wife did not do a single water change and changed filters only monthly (so she said, I doubt it tho). Only thing she did was trim the plants as they grew. Everything was fine when I got back.
I would take EVERYTHING your LFS guy says with a grain of salt.
I believe salt water is more difficult than fresh. But it's worth it.
I meant pouring in chemicals for the saltwater tank to get it balanced. The only chemicals I ever put in my tank are sodium bisophate (spelling?) and sodium bicarbonate for ph adjustments.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

A 150 is awesome, until you look at the price of lights. 3 or 4 radions will run you 2k +. Or go t5 and shoot for 1k after bulbs. Metal halides would probably cheaper, but lack color variety like the first two, and the actinics on mh fixtures tend to be compact fluorescent, which means they'll be even less efficient.

Tags
changing, freshwater, freshwater to saltwater, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com