Changing from Freshwater to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out live sand 20 bucks a bag, I used it in my 36 gal an it cycled soft water gets cloudy just run your filter an it clears up. Dr foster and smith online is a great place to save some cash, sand I would by local cus of weight (Carib sea)

Highly suggest keeping your HOB filter on the tank. You could just use base rock to cycle it with raw shrimp but it will take longer to cycle your tank. If you go with pool sand (hard to find in Iowa lol) I would add one bag of live sand and mix it in to help with the cycle. Base rock is beautiful. My parents had a saltwater a long time ago (over 25 years) and when we started saltwater we got the base rock! Some live rock would really help! We have a fuzzy dwarf the minimum is 30 gallon. But if you decide to do that you can't put anything else in the tank, besides a clean up crew. They are moderate care, i personally would suggest easy care since you are just starting. Also nothing smaller than they can fit in their mouth (full grown) Eels get big and won't work for your tank. Eels are escapes artists!!! The entire top would need to be completely sealed. He would end up in your HOB filter or on the floor. That's with an appropriate sized tank. If you put him in something smaller he will try harder to get out. I would do the clown fish and 6 line. We love our clownfish! They are a lot of fun to watch. Ours are about to spawn for the first time :) saltwater is amazing!!! But trust me it is not cheap. We have spent $2,000 on SW in the past 8 months! Good luck!!!!!!

I read a lot of places that live sand is usually dead sand and that its a waste of money.

I really don't want to run a hob because last time I had sand in my tank with the hob I kept having impeller issues. I heard that pool filter sand is a lot bigger granuals so I dunno. I was planning on using the 50lbs of dead rock and maybe put in 1-2lbs of live and still do the shrimp just to bump start it

Look into back packs. They are all in one and work nicely! You have you filtration and a skimmer. We have one on our 35 hex. Its easy to clean.

Pygmy angels are a great choice for that tank and are a beautiful fish. In my 29 I have a pygmy angel, a pair of percula clowns and a Wardi goby. I am at the max and all inhabitants are happy.

I'll have to look into them. Not wanting to spend to much on fish though that's why i'm glad I can only have 2-3 lol. Stocking my 100g with fw fish was pricey

Back
Top Bottom