Changing from Freshwater to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe5688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 35g tank i'm going to be switching to saltwater. Just have a few questions. I've been searching around but i'd like to get direct answers to my questions.

I have a buddy hooking me up with 50lbs of figi, hydrometer and salt for $50. I currently have a 55g HOB filter.

1. With the live rock will i still need a HOB filter or can I just do the rock.

2. Is the bacteria in my filter ok for Saltwater or will I have to comlpetly recycle?

3. I"m going to get rid of my gravel and put in Play sand. I'm assuming play sand is ok?

Not looking for anything crazy, just a few fish. Not looking for a sump. The tank is in my room under my tv so it cant be anything nuts lol.

4. Do you only need powerheads for corals or are they beneficial to FOWLR? I have a koralia 240gph in my 100g tank i'm probably going to put in my 35. Is it big enough?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

You don't need the HOB but it is nice to have something to run media through if needed.

2. Is the bacteria in my filter ok for Saltwater or will I have to comlpetly recycle?

Will have to recycle. Fresh and saltwater bacteria are completely different. Your live rock will come with bactaria already on it though so it may be a soft cycle.

3. I"m going to get rid of my gravel and put in Play sand. I'm assuming play sand is ok?

I would try pool filter sand rather then play sand. Just be sure to check the color before you purchase some can be really ugly IMO

Not looking for anything crazy, just a few fish. Not looking for a sump. The tank is in my room under my tv so it cant be anything nuts lol.

For that size tank you should be fine with what you have. You may look into a HOB skimmer later but for starting out should be ok.

4. Do you only need powerheads for corals or are they beneficial to FOWLR? I have a koralia 240gph in my 100g tank i'm probably going to put in my 35. Is it big enough?

You need a powerhead for FOWLR too as you need current going through the rock for filtration. That PH should be fine for FOWLR you would probably want a second if you decided to go with coral but you will also probably need to upgrade the lights too.

shady3210 said:

You don't need the HOB but it is nice to have something to run media through if needed.

Will have to recycle. Fresh and saltwater bacteria are completely different. Your live rock will come with bactaria already on it though so it may be a soft cycle.

I would try pool filter sand rather then play sand. Just be sure to check the color before you purchase some can be really ugly IMO

For that size tank you should be fine with what you have. You may look into a HOB skimmer later but for starting out should be ok.

You need a powerhead for FOWLR too as you need current going through the rock for filtration. That PH should be fine for FOWLR you would probably want a second if you decided to go with coral but you will also probably need to upgrade the lights too.

Ok thanks for all the info. I should have noted that the live rock is dead. Its been sitting in a garage for a couple years lol.

I'm probably going to go the raw shrimp route.

Ok thanks for all the info. I should have noted that the live rock is dead. Its been sitting in a garage for a couple years lol.

I'm probably going to go the raw shrimp route.

Ahh lol well ya now its "base" rock! Still will work fine will just have a normal cycle with the raw shrimp.

Since i'm not doing corals would the API master fresh water kit be sufficient?

Yes the only difference is the color chart card they come with. The ammonia chart is slightly different(0 looks like a milky brownish yellow rather then bright yellow as in FW) and you wont need the lower PH kit.

Haha my 100g got expensive quick and its fw. I don't plan on doing much with the 35. Few fish and much enjoyment. Eventually I'll get a 125 and have a reef tank but that is far away lol.

I was just thinking today about stocking (I went to 2 lps's) lol

I'm thinking a pair of clowns to start then possibly a six line and a dwarf lion? Would they work together? I'm assuming I could only get 3-4 fish in my tank.

Also do I have to have a cuc?

Yes the only difference is the color chart card they come with. The ammonia chart is slightly different(0 looks like a milky brownish yellow rather then bright yellow as in FW) and you wont need the lower PH kit.

OMG the fish store lied to me, forked over $40 for the saltwater test kit! :banghead:

I was just thinking today about stocking (I went to 2 lps's) lol

I'm thinking a pair of clowns to start then possibly a six line and a dwarf lion? Would they work together? I'm assuming I could only get 3-4 fish in my tank.

Also do I have to have a cuc?

Your tank is too small imo for a dwarf lion and unless you get larger clown they may become lunch for the lion.

shady3210 said:
Well sorry to hear that but ya there exactly the same. Look at it this way now you have extra tubes and solution!

Haha positive thinking. I read somewhere that dwarf lion needs minimum 30g

Fu Manchu lions can go in a 30g. Dwarf lions I would say 50g. They can get up to ~8". I would do a pair of clowns and a sixline and be done.

I would say no. Some people will say ribbon eels but I wouldn't put them in a 30g. Garden eels would work but you need a 1' deep sand bed.

Joe5688 said:
What about a cuc

What about one? Decide what you want, ask questions and do research, not all CuC members you may want are compatible.

Back
Top Bottom