changing my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsbassist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i currently have a wet/dry with bio balls on a 60 gal with LR and LS and a few snails and crabs. i set it up about a month ago not knowing that bio balls are not recommended for a reef tank. i want to take out the bio ball tower and use just the sump and put LR and LS in it. any suggestions on how to do this without causing the amonia to rise? any help is greatly appriciated.

if it was me i would put the lr and ls in and leave the balls in the water for a while slowly remove a few at a time over a extended time frame..jmo on what could work..maybe there are some other good ideas and someone else can jump in and offer you some more thoughts...

alrmc4 pretty much has it... add the LS and LR and give it a week or two to settle, then remove the bio-balls over time, in 3 or 4 batches, and you should be able to avoid any major upset in system balance. Just make sure the LR you put in the sump is already cured. adding uncured rock to any system is bad :D

thanks a lot guys thats what i figured would be best but wasn't sure if there was a better way of doing it i appreciate the help :D

Back
Top Bottom