changing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulweck

Aquarium Advice FINatic
right now my tank is cycling with used gravel. after i get dont the cycle process i would like to change out the gravel to live sand or crushed coral.

was wondering how i should go about changing the sand?

also would that force me to go through another cycle?

if your going to change it i would do it now before your cycle that way you dont cause another mini cycle while changing it out

will that prolong my cycle?

also is there any problems with using gravel?? and witch sand would u guys suggest is the best?

the gravel can becoem a nitrate factory, bad news if you plan on going with a reef system.

if you changed out yur gravel for sand after you could start a mini cycle and if you have sensitive fish you could kill them, best thing is change it now while its cycling and be done with it. as far as the crushed coral try and stay away from it as it will end up beign the same as the gravel

ok witch kinda sand would u recommend without breaking the bank

thanks for all the info guys i love this site

well you could use play sand its cheaper or pool filter sand

the best to use would be agronite sand

what size tank i used a 15lb or argonite for my 10g and got a 1.5-2" sand bed it's only $15-$20 a bag for smaller tanks it's worth it

46 gallon bow-front

i like the pool filter sand idea.

ive been reading a little about dsb will pool filter sand work well for this?

DSBs are a form of natural filtration that is used for removing nitrated from the water columb without water changes.

the cons of it are if its dont wrong you can cause a full system crash, killing all livestock in the aquarium

um im not to sure but what comes to mind is

pro more room for sand sifting creatures bb will live in it providin natural filtration
errmm i wish i had more

con if stirred toxic chem ( no2 no3) could whipe out tank i wish i could help more but its 11pm here

its not if its stirred, its more like if its stirred while its still establishing and debris gets under the sand then it can decompose and creat hydrogeon sulfide which will kill the system

well doing it wrong is is tryign to clean it and stirrign up the sand. wit ha DSB you should never try to clean it syphon it or stir it.

Gti_Leo said:
its not if its stirred, its more like if its stirred while its still establishing and debris gets under the sand then it can decompose and creat hydrogeon sulfide which will kill the system

actually mfd or someone researched and found out the hydrogen sulfide instantly de toxifies when it hits water doin no harm to fish

so with a dsb i get a big cuc and never touch it correct

correct, its not to say it can never be touched you should wait for it to fully establish itself before it is stirred slightly, but it should never be cleaned

actually mfd or someone researched and found out the hydrogen sulfide instantly de toxifies when it hits water doin no harm to fish

i did some research also and all comes back to killign everything

thanks guys i think im gonna just go with about 50 lbs of pfs and start experimenting with the dsb when i get a sump/fuge going in the next few months i will change out my sand tomorrow just hoping it dosnt set my all the way back in my cycle

Back
Top Bottom