Changing Substate - Can I mix CC and sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cybercron

Aquarium Advice Regular
Converting from CC to sand.

LFS Plan:

Use 1/2 inch existing CC, plastic mesh, 2 1/2 inches sand, plastic mesh and a final 1/2 inch layer of sand. This will hopefully make a plenum of sorts.

The mesh will also keep my Gobies from digging.

Do I need to keep the CC at all?

Van

Use 1/2 inch existing CC, plastic mesh, 2 1/2 inches sand, plastic mesh and a final 1/2 inch layer of sand. This will hopefully make a plenum of sorts.

Nope, a plenum is a empty space of nothing but water under the sand bed.

Do I need to keep the CC at all?

Nope, I wouldn't. by using it on the bottom via screens, it won't becom the detritus trap that it would on top, but there isn't much reason to use it, IMO, Remember you'll see this through the glass and imo, it will be unsightly.

Are the plastic screens necessary? I was told by my LFS that the screens will stop the gobies from digging up the sand bed. They said the digging will damage the efficiency of the bed.

Are the plastic screens necessary?

If the sand is all the same grain size, the screens should not be necessary.

I was told by my LFS that the screens will stop the gobies from digging up the sand bed.

What kind of gobies? Sand sifting gobies are not recommended for any live sand bed, screens or no screens, they will eat the fauna that keep the upper layer of sand live.

Since I am doing a "hot cut" from cc to DSB. I started to pre-rinse the sand. It seems like the water will never clear up. I do not want to shock my critters with a sand storm. What are your recommendations regarding adding the sand and how much rinsing is really necessary.

Van

Don't rinse it, cycle it first in a seperate container with a piece of raw cocktail shrimp, this will allow the bacteria to coat the sand and it will not cloud very bad and will settle very quickly.

If you cycle it you should be able to switch it out all at one time, you might leave a couple plastic strainers full of the cc in the tank for a few days to allow any critters that might be in there to migrate to the new sand, or to give a little boost in the biological filter.

What do you mean by cycle it in a separate container and for how long?

Sorry to ask so many quetsions, I am a bit nervous about the move. My tank looks so healthy right now.

Van

What do you mean by cycle it in a separate container and for how long?

Get a couple of rubbermaid tubs and put 4-6" of sugar grain sized sand in each, add a powerhead for cirulation and a raw cocktail shrimp to add some nitrogenous waste. Should take a couple weeks to get some bacteria built up on the sand.

One of our members, SquishyFishy, has detailed instructions on his website...I think.

When I did this for a client, instead of "pre-cycling" the sand I bagged up quite a bit of the CC in filter bags. I half buried a few and left the other two sit. I removed them about 2 weeks later. It accomplishes the same thing, just wanted to give you another option to evaluate. Any sandstorm resulting from changing the sand will not hurt your fish.

One question though, if your tank looks very healthy....why change?

HoopsGuru said:
One question though, if your tank looks very healthy....why change?

My wife and I are remodeling our Family room. So, this is a relocation project. We are moving the tank into the living room. I figured this was a perfect time to convert from CC to sand.

Thanks for the advice on burying the CC in bags. I need to move the tank this weekend. This leaves me little time to cycle the sand.

Van

So, this is a relocation project. We are moving the tank into the living room. I figured this was a perfect time to convert from CC to sand.

Unless you really hated maintenance, I would just say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I came across a thread on Reef Central about a member with a 27 year old tank. He still used the same dolomite gravel that he started with. 8O

Back
Top Bottom