Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

changing sumps/wet dry

Hi all,

I have had my 75 gal going for a few months now. I have been using an Amiracle wet/dry with bio balls as my filtration. I now have about 80 lbs of LR in the tank and all but 30 lbs have been in the tank from the beginning.

I am going to put a 20 gal tank in the place of the wet/dry and move the wet/dry to my 29 gal. I have removed about 1/3 of the bioballs and everything seems ok. I expect ammonia levels and Nitrites to rise slightly but will the LR counter this? I did a 10% water change at the same time I removed the balls. How much time should I give for the tank to catch up?

I am ordering more LR soon and my live stock is light with just inverts(snails & crabs), 2 small damsels and a medium percula clown.

Also, I when I move the wet/dry over to the 29, I planned on keeping the remaining "seeded" bio balls in the filter and using them. See any problems with this?

Old 12-05-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I expect ammonia levels and Nitrites to rise slightly but will the LR counter this? I did a 10% water change at the same time I removed the balls. How much time should I give for the tank to catch up?
Correct. Your LR will take over primary filtration. Just make sure you do go slowly. Perhaps phasing it out over the course of a month wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
I am ordering more LR soon and my live stock is light with just inverts(snails & crabs), 2 small damsels and a medium percula clown.
Make sure you cure this in a separate container BEFORE you put it in the tank. You probably already know this, but I want to make sure.

Quote:
Also, I when I move the wet/dry over to the 29, I planned on keeping the remaining "seeded" bio balls in the filter and using them. See any problems with this?
Nope, no problem at all. As long as your 29g is a SW tank, the balls should do fine over there.

Old 12-05-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Make sure you cure this in a separate container BEFORE you put it in the tank. You probably already know this, but I want to make sure.
Yeah, I know I have heard that rock from liverocks.com has minimal die off and some have had minor ammonia spikes by just placing it in the tank but I do have some containers or I still have the 29 gal I can use too. I used it to cure my last batch since the 15 gal container's water fouled too quickly.

I wanted to get some of the coral rock from Liverocks. Hopefully die off will be very minimal ...
Old 12-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Keep your bioballs in saltwater so the bactera does not die off between the two tanks.

If you remove the bio balls slowly you will see very negligably increase in ammonia and nitrite if you see an increase at all. The live rock and your substerate is already doing some of the bio filtration and as you take the bioballs out the bactera in the rocks will populate to cope with the needs.

Give it a few days and test ammonia, nitrite. If they are zero then you can take mroe balls out.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That is what I was hoping for. I tested Ammonia last night and it looked a little darker than normal and I had a slight reading in Nitrites. My ammonia kit only shows 0 and .25 so it was somewhere in between.

The bioballs I have taken out are just submerged in saltwater in a sealed container in the garage.

I want to get all this sorted out so I can start getting fish ...
Old 12-05-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The bioballs I have taken out are just submerged in saltwater in a sealed container in the garage.
The bacteria won't live long in that since there is no food source for them (i.e. ammonia and nitrite). How long have they been in there for?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The have been in the container a couple of days. I guess I could throw them in my 29 gal. I have 3 green chromis in there right in QT.

This was only about 1/3 of the balls. I still have 2/3 left in the wet/dry. I figure I will have to have the tank runninf for a week or so without bio ball before I should swap in the 20 gal glass for my sump. The 29 gal I have is cycled but I figure the bacteria on the balls would be useful.

Tags
changing, dry, sump, wet, wet dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com