Changing Wet/dry To Refugiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nybillygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do i go about Changing my Pro Clear Aquatic 125 to a Refugium? any ideas? step by step instructions would be nice.... thank you!!!!!

I'm not real familiar with that model, but I can give you some basics.

A) Remove the bioballs, if the bioballs are submerged, you might replace them with live rock rubble.
B) Add a light
C) Fill the sump as full as you can while still leaving room for power-out backflow.
D) Add either live rock rubble, cheato, and/or xenia to the submerged portions depending on your goals.

Leave the pump where it is. You want it to continue working when evaporation lowers the water level.

Live sand is also a good idea.

Baffles serve two purposes: to keep the water level at a consistant height in earlier chambers, and to remove bubbles created by your drain line and skimmer. You could put a baffle in to keep the refugium seperate from the pump return chamber, but you'll have to be more regular about top-offs, as the smaller pump return chamber will show the effects of evaporation more quickly. If you do put one baffle in, you might as well do a bubble baffle set. (Force water over, under, over a set of three closely spaced baffles.) A space-saving measure that would keep sand out of your pump is a half-height baffle sourounding the pump. Sand should stay outside the baffle and not get into the pump.

Extensive write-up on sumps:
http://dslinux.dyndns.org/~denise/aquarium/DIYPlumbing/futureindex.html

Back
Top Bottom