Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #11
steve-s

I did some asking around and the only thing of note was the possibility of reduced skimmer efficiencey. Did you notice anything there?

Another point that was made but I first wanted to ask how is your pH monitored?

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 04:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
reduced skimmer efficiencey. Did you notice anything there?
No difference noticed there. I clean the cup weekly and had cleaned the pump within the previous 30 days.
Quote:
Another point that was made but I first wanted to ask how is your pH monitored?
I use just a Seachem test kit. When I added the PH reagent the color of the sample did not change at all.(!) The lowest the scale goes is 7.8 and that's a beige color. A reference test checked out fine as did the results of my QT's PH that day.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
I use just a Seachem test kit. When I added the PH reagent the color of the sample did not change at all.(!) The lowest the scale goes is 7.8 and that's a beige color. A reference test checked out fine as did the results of my QT's PH that day.
So I guess my next question would be what prompted you to check the pH at this particular time and was the pH also tested just prior to adding the pad?

My thought here being if the pH was not tested prior to the addition of the pad, the low pH could have already been pre existing and pads addition was purely coincidental. I don't think you can really be sure until the next time the polyfilter is changed. Test the pH before it's removed and then after the new one is added.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what prompted you to check the pH at this particular time
"Things" just did not look right. I did not check PH just prior to adding the Poly-filter. FWIW I've been monitoring it since, and have not had a problem.
Quote:
I don't think you can really be sure until the next time the polyfilter is changed. Test the pH before it's removed and then after the new one is added
That's what I was thinking too, but I'd hate for the result to be the same. I may try it in my QT after I get the neon goby out. Thanks for the help Steve.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #15

It's important to keep in mind that the pH fluctuates naturally during the day and a reading of 7.8 is probably not bad. A significant drop in pH would indicate some water quality issues and would require a further search into the root cause. Think you probably found it with the dead fish. A good water change and you should be fine. If it continues, you might want to point your power heads to the surface to break the water up and allow gas exchange. Replacing tight fitting hoods with eggcrate diffuser will help with gas exchange. Also, during the summer with the windows shut, the CO2 in the air increases a subsequently increases in our tanks as well. This also affects the pH. One way to tell if this is an issue is to aerate some water thoroughly overnight and test the pH. If it's signifcantly different, you have high CO2. Good luck!

KG
Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I have neer noticed a change in pH after changing a poly filter. I keep a pad in the sump for about a month between changes (till it's brown).

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com