Cheapest reef lighting???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Need to find the cheapest reef capable lighting fixture for my 48" long 24" tall 55 gallon tank. I've found several double light t5 HO strips but I don't think that would be enough for corals.... I'm mainly looking for a light to house softies and as cheap as possible please!!!!

As a disclaimer, I have absolutely no idea about coral lighting requirements... But... if a 4x54w T5HO is sufficient, this would be a good option to look at. I have 5 of their fixtures for my planted tanks and love them... cheap but good quality... external ballasts, and individual reflectors.

mfdrookie516 said:
As a disclaimer, I have absolutely no idea about coral lighting requirements... But... if a 4x54w T5HO is sufficient, this would be a good option to look at. I have 5 of their fixtures for my planted tanks and love them... cheap but good quality... external ballasts, and individual reflectors.

That's not a good option to look at..... It's a GREAT option to look at. I would recommend those fixtures to any person starting off.

Btw, you really don't know coral lighting requirements? Are you solely a freshwater guy?

I know requirements for softies... My lfs said that t5s are fine as long as they aren't too far from the surface i just wanted to find a cheap fixture and yes I've been a freshwater guy for years and this is my first marine:) I'll be starting a fowlr and later turning it into a soft reef.

SleepsWithFish said:
I know requirements for softies... My lfs said that t5s are fine as long as they aren't too far from the surface i just wanted to find a cheap fixture and yes I've been a freshwater guy for years and this is my first marine:) I'll be starting a fowlr and later turning it into a soft reef.

No I'm sorry the coral light requirement was directed towards mfdrookie since I thought he had a reef tank lol.

Back
Top Bottom