Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Electrobes: You know, just a thought, but perhaps you could write up an article and see if an admin wants to put it in the articles section.

srgetz: Nice looking tank. W/ the addition of more LR and some good lights, it should be kickin'. Best of luck, and keep us posted!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
hehe I should I guess, what stinks is hat I wrote a complete explanation before, I think I even posted it on some random post for a person but can't remember where it is. Shame too it was like 2-3 pages long with an inclusion of DIY kits which saved a lot of money, and the good/bad on all things explained in options!

Old 01-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

here they are, 2 yellowtail a black and a saddleback...they eat & seem happy as can be

PH wants to stay around 7.9, should I just leave it alone or try a buffer?

ammonia reading is 1.5mg/l, at what point should I change some water?

thanks for the lighting info Electrobes, maybe I will wait & get some that are good enough for corals too so im not limited later down the road...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:20 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

ack... see if your LFS will take the damsels back. It's really stressful (by way of toxic levels of amonia, nitrites and nitrates) to have the fish in the tank as it cycles. "So how do you cycle without fish?" We have a great article here on how to Cycle Without Fish that uses a cheap grocery store solution (much cheaper than the 3 damsels you have in there now). Many LFS will buy back the fish, particularly the ones they sell as "cycle fish". Check out that article as well as the other great articles in our Articles Section (most are member written, hint hint, nudge nudge Electrobes! )
Old 01-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
BillyZ: What LFS do you hit around here? I haven't seen any that have really impressed me.

Jim
Old 01-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Getting water out of the tank and into the 'fuge/sump

I notice that you've not drilled the tank for any overflow. Unless you're willing to do that you will be using some sort of siphon to get the water to fall down into the 'fuge/sump.

Then you'll need a pump to push it back up into the tank. You will probably need more than a powerhead to do that...depending on the distance and plumbing (head pressure 5ft?).

I just went through all of this with my tank (added a sump). While siphon overflows are always controversial, I give my approval to the CS50 siphon box. Siphons are tricky...they simply MUST continue to flow or you have a wet problem. The CS50 uses a powerhead to suck any air out of the siphon in order to keep it working. You may be able to use one of your existing powerheads to do the job.

Great shots, BTW!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

"Cycle" fish...

My yellow tail damsel went into the tank as the first fish (I was nervous that the tank wasn't fully cycled). He is still in there, 11 years later. He got attacked and lost an eye in 1996, but otherwise, he's fine. Tough little b*ggar.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think they will get through this, the ammonia has dropped to near 0, and the nitrites are rising already, so the cycle is moving along swiftly it seems...maybe due to LR & cycle additive

Brad: thanks for the refuge advice, can I email you directly for more specifics? Got any pics posted? I am very interested in doing that, I'm at srgetz@joimail.com glad to hear about your damsel!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update
There has been some concern from a few members expressed about putting fish in so early on. Put it this way, if I was not going with LR, and starting with a new mechanical biological filter I would certainly have used the shrimp method. Per the Concientious Marine Aquarist, "with well-cured live rock you may never see the usual nitrogen cycle progression". The was started with 30lb of cured FIJI LR, and a cup of live sand from an established tank, a bottle of cycle and some marine flakes for an ammonia source and a water temp of 84 to promote bacterial growth. All measurements were very low before the damsels were added, indicating the rock was well-cured and did not spike the tank. In case you are not aware, well-cured means biologically sufficient, with loads of ammonia & nitrite eating bacteria. The day after the damsels were added, 20lb Tonga LR from another LFS (cured 3+ months) went in. The ammonia is 0 and now the nitrite level is an acceptable .25mg/l, PH is 8.1. Soon I will remove the bio-wheels from the filter before they get really cultivated, and just use that for carbon filtration. There is almost 20cycles / hr circulation (not including hob) through the live rock, I think that was a key to it's success also.

So I didn't just fill the tank and get damsels as some lfs may recommend. I was very informed from many sources. I think it's those who assume, jump into this uninformed or don't spend the money and get the LR or are advised by a greedy LFS, etc., who get the bad lethal cycles. JMO

Also of note, I bought the cycle from a very busy store who does online sales, www.thatfishplace.com, ensuring the bottle was fairly fresh. Although I believe the live rock is 99% responsible for this swift cycling, I would have to say I recommend Cycle, especially if you know it hasn't been on the shelf long.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 now guys!

BTW, I have to say to anyone starting a sw tank, put in cured LR from the get go, it works!

I will post some more pics in the morning

Tags
birth, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com