Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

check it out, birth of my tank!

Empty assembled tank

Old 01-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am posting a series of pics, keep reading the following posts...BTW, its a 45g aga in cherry oak (she loved the furniture!), 30lb reef sand, 30lb fiji live rock (getting 30lb gulf from liverocks.com when cycled), 2 aquaclear powerhead 802 400gph, emporer 400 biowheel. Currently looking for decent lighting & skimmer. Will be adding 15g refuge with dsb, skimmer, heater once I learn more about it. Feel free to make any comments!

Old 01-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry about the duplicate pic... here's more
Old 01-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

the next night
Old 01-25-2004, 04:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

that pic was actually 48hrs later...
Old 01-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

today! on my way to pick up some damsels!
Old 01-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Excellent!! Keep up with the pics as the tank progesses

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

srgetz,
love the way you can't spot the damsel but you did catch a reflection of yourself in the last shot.

BTW, are you planning to keep the bio-wheels on the emperor? I have heard that they arent that good to have on a salt setup.

As for your fuge, if you want to get a custome made one, I know this guy who does a good job. I am planning to order a 12" fuge from him for my 10 gallon nano.

I think your tank will rock once you have it finished. What lights are you planning to add? I just got some Tek T5s for my 60 gallon and they produce llight somewhere between PCs and MHs.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys this is my first sw and a learning experience...
cookiemn,
I would like to slowly phase the HOB filter out in a few months as I get more live rock, a cleaning crew and a 15g refugium established. It will be good to have for an occasional carbon filtering, as it seems to keep the water crystal clear. BTW, why is the bio-wheel not good on a salt setup? I heard from a reputable reef guy, his brother has a successful 1+ yr old fowlr with the same filter in a smaller setup like mine. That is not to say it is ideal, though.

For the refugium, I am thinking of just using a 15g (below) for cost savings, I am not sure how to plumb it yet though. Can I just push water up to the tank with a powerhead and do a gravity return? I am really big on getting the extra 33% water capacity as a cushion, along with the other benefits.

I don't know much about lighting yet; it has the standard 20w hood. I was thinking of quickly going to something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=46314
Old 01-26-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Are you going for a FOWLR or a reef set up? If I were you I would not go for that lighting unless you were possibly going for a FOWLR... but even that may not be the best for liverock lighting. I also have a 45G main tank, and with it a 29G refugium. I went the reef route (stonies and soft corals)... couldn't be helped - But anyway my lighting is 250 watt MH at 10,000K, with two 55 watt (being overpowered to 64 watts) 03 actinics. Just as a side note, when you get actinics, don't let the LFS people trick you into getting anything BUT "03" actinics... no day lights, no 50/50, just 03 if you want true blue.. but I am getting ahead of myself. If you want to know just about everything in the lighting side of reef aquariums... well aquariums in general I'll write you up an entire explanation unless we have it in the article section

Tags
birth, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com