Check out equipment and fish wish list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SolidOrange

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over the past few months I've been slowly and I mean slowly building my saltwater setup. I've been really trying to hit sales and find bargins to build my tank. Here's what I have so far and then what I plan to get.

40g Breeder tank (Bought it at Petco for the $1 per gallon deal so made out pretty well)

22pds of Pukani dry live rock from BRS (got it for 30% off on the Black Friday sale)

DIY lid for aquarium (followed the BRS model with screen door components and outdoor uv resistant bird netting)

Here's the gem I think I was able to steal....you guys tell me if this was a good deal or not......36" Current USA T5 4 x 39w bulb w/ 3 LED moonlights and 1 internal fan for $75 from a local guy here off of craigslist. It's in really good shape...minimal salt creep, which I've already gotten rid of. Think I saw this same fixture for $230 brand new online.

2 Hydor Koralia 2 PHs

That's what I have so far....here's what I plan to get:

About 30pds more of rock with 10pds of that being live rock (for seeding). Thinking about BRS Eco reef-saver dry rock and then LiveAquaria Vanuatu live rock or LiveRockandReef Manado live rock(if available when I'm ready to buy).

Reef Octopus BH100F HOB Skimmer with Filter system

Rena Smartheater 150w (not sure about this...willing to take suggestions!)

Was gonna try the DIY AquaClear 110 HOB fuge converison

Bulb configuration: 2 ATI Blue+, ATI Purple Plus, ATI AquaBlue

A portable RO/DI system...not sure which one yet

Red Sea salt and and extra small heater and cheap PH to mix saltwater for PWCs.

And of course the other small things...net, temp gauge, test kits, refractometer or hydrometer, etc...

Fish wish-list once everything is up and running:
2 Clowns
2 Cardinal Fish(pajama)
1 Royal Gramma
3 Green Chromis
Maybe a Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo
Some kind of clean up crew
Maybe a seahare

Then, once established add some corals.

Whata you think...too many fish for my size aquarium? Also up for suggestions on anything else. Thanks ahead of time!!

Sounds like you have a plan, and that's good! Welcome aboard.

Only comment I'd make is it seems like you might have a couple fish too many. But then, it always seems like I'm on the conservative side here when it comes to stocking!

Everything looks great, I'll mimic kurts hesistation on that many fish, but your only maybe 1 over.

I would also say to steer clear of the seahare. They decimate algae quickly but will eat all of it and then starve. Welcome to AA and good luck!

Thanks for welcome and the input! 10-4 on too many fish....I'll probably cut one of the cardinals.

Anybody have any suggestions for fish that I might like better than the ones listed and that will all coexist peacefully?

Also I thought I read that one could supplement a Seahare's diet with lettuce should there not be enough algae to graze on.

Lastly, Serpent Star....good or bad or too much once the fish are in? I've thought about a star at some point.

With the bulbs: I would recommend going with one 10K bulb in your setup. You will find that the bulbs you have to be very blue. Which is cool, if that is what you are going for, but the 10K bulb will really help with coral growth.

With the bulbs: I would recommend going with one 10K bulb in your setup. You will find that the bulbs you have to be very blue. Which is cool, if that is what you are going for, but the 10K bulb will really help with coral growth.

The ATI aquablue is supposed to be full spectrum daylight bulb. Here's the write-up:

"The ATI AquaBlue Special combines the properties of a blue bulb and full spectrum daylight bulb. This unique combination produces a color temperature of approximately 12000K. The ATI AquaBlue Special is one of the most popular white bulbs. Has just a hint of blue."

aquablues appear white. they are nice lamps. i'm not a fan of the fiji purple or ATI's purple plus, especially when you only have a 4 lamp fixture. you'll figure it out when you turn it on. i think another blue plus is a better idea. it's all personal opinion really, because all of the ATI lamps are pretty high PAR.

this current fixture, it has individual reflectors, correct? the old version of these have a single parabolic reflector over all lamps- i wouldn't use that one. the new version has the individual reflectors per bulb, and it's a much brighter fixture.

the sea hare will not eat lettuce, nor will it just eat any algae. i have found them only to eat hair algae. it will release toxins when it starves to death and kill most if not all of the tank inhabitants when it goes.

did you drill the 40 breeder? i can't stress enough how easy this will make your life.

you are certainly on the right track.

aquablues appear white. they are nice lamps. i'm not a fan of the fiji purple or ATI's purple plus, especially when you only have a 4 lamp fixture. you'll figure it out when you turn it on. i think another blue plus is a better idea. it's all personal opinion really, because all of the ATI lamps are pretty high PAR.

this current fixture, it has individual reflectors, correct? the old version of these have a single parabolic reflector over all lamps- i wouldn't use that one. the new version has the individual reflectors per bulb, and it's a much brighter fixture.

the sea hare will not eat lettuce, nor will it just eat any algae. i have found them only to eat hair algae. it will release toxins when it starves to death and kill most if not all of the tank inhabitants when it goes.

did you drill the 40 breeder? i can't stress enough how easy this will make your life.

you are certainly on the right track.

Thanks for the heads up on the Purple +. I guess I could always buy an extra Blue + and switch out the Purple if I don't like it.

Unfortunately, this current fixture has the single reflector over the lamps. I've searched a bit on the net, albeit not very hard, to see if I could find an aftermarket individual reflector that would fit my fixture. So far I've had no luck. The other problems I see with changing the reflector are the moonlights. They currently run through center of the reflector...I guess if got a new reflector I would have to make sure those would fit and drill it.

Ok the sea hare is definitely off the list now....lol. How about a lettuce sea slug....same deal as the sea hare?

The tank is not drilled, unfortunately. I am going to roll with it undrilled and do my best. Once I upgrade at some point I will look for a drilled tank and maybe use this 40g for a refuge/sump.

Also, what corals would I be limited to keeping with this size tank and fixture?

i doubt you will be able to alter this fixture to accept individual reflectors. even if you get rid of the moonlights(which aren't useful anyway). softies and some lps for this tank. i've experienced that many lps are most colorful under low to medium lighting. one website said that the new fixtures are 20% brighter due to the new reflectors (they got rid of the moonlights in the new fixtures), but i find that to be inaccurate. i had an old and new fixture sitting next to each other with the same lamps in it and the difference was immense.

i'd steer clear of any slugs until the tank is well established, and maybe not even then.

Back
Top Bottom