Check out this lighting system! Would it work for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Check out this system. I am a newbie but it looks pretty cool. I have a 120 gallon tank that I will be setting up as a reef tank as soon as I sell my Chevelle for the last of the components that I need (Lights being the big one anyone want to buy a '71 chevelle? :wink: ) My tank is 60" long and 24" deep, will this 48 inch light be too small? I am wanting to do everything right the first time so assume that I will have creatures/corals that have high lighting requirements. If not, what would be

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2353559876&category=46314

Thanks
Zero

I just bought those lights and couldnt be happier. The moon lights are something else :D . As far as working for a 120 gal reef tank, I'd say you'l need a bit more power. If I'm not mistaken, you should be aiming for 3-4 watts a gallon. The system you where looking at would only supply a little over 2 watts per gallon.

HTH

Hey, I just got those lights too! They are so cool, but I think they may be a bit weak, and they do make a 60" fixture, but it is only 260W, same as the 48. But I have them on my 55, and love them!

:hat:

Selling your chevelle for lights? lets not get crazy here, I realize this hobby is very interesting/challenging but... :lol:

Please forward me info/pics regarding your Chevelle.

Yes I love Chevelles.

Dont jack up the price because I said that though.

If you plan on keeping high intensity light requiring corals this is not nearly enough. For a 120 GAL setup, IMO, I would look at MH's. Especially if you plan on keeping SPS's. The rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon. SPS's require lots of lighting. Figure on at least 480 watts of lighting, minimum. HTH

MT79 said:
If you plan on keeping high intensity light requiring corals this is not nearly enough. For a 120 GAL setup, IMO, I would look at MH's. Especially if you plan on keeping SPS's. The rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon. SPS's require lots of lighting. Figure on at least 480 watts of lighting, minimum. HTH

Got any particular brand in mind? Post a link if you would. I am a newbie, and liked the idea of the self contained unit. They also have it in a 60" model, would that work any better?
Thanks,
Zero

The 60 inch unit had th same output as the 48 inch unit. Remember your looking to increase the Watts per Gallon.

Cool, thanks for the link.

I heard that a combination of MH's and VHO together makes a really super nice illumination, for exaple 2 MH's plus 3-4 VHO actinic. That would take up a good portion of your CHevelle money tho 8)

I would keep in mind the depth of the tank. At 24" you'll need high wattage to penatrate down to that level.

I also am fairly new. I've spent more time reading about SW tanks in the last 2.5 months, well, than I'd like to admit. I know allot about muscle cars though! Being in philly rust is a huge problem around here, but I digress. Anyway, no I can't recommend anything particular, just definitely MH's combined with VHO or PC actinics. Ask about this in the reef section. I use VHO,s on my 29 gallon (150 watts) plus 45 LBS LR, DSB. Read my profile if your interested in what I keep. I also am building a reef for my first time. (I've built many cars though, a '71 chevelle being my sweet 16 car coincidentally, and have surprised many brand new corvette owners, etc. Even a porsche owner w/ my camaro :lol: ) Good luck! HTH. Try your best, budget permitting,to get at least 5 watts per gallon. The more the better.

Back
Top Bottom