Checkin out prices on new setup.. came across somethin weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Came across an entry in my local yellow pages that said nothing more than "Aquariums at wholesale prices ... ###-####" so I called em up. I told him I was looking for a 46g bow front. The individual seemed very eager to sell me a used tank with an open stand and a new Euroreef skimmer for $350. I asked him if it was an All-Glass or Oceanic brand tank and he replied "Yes". hehe which one!?!?! I then explained to him that I was interested in a matching tank and stand as I wanted it all to look nice. He indicated to me that he had several to choose from in 2 locations.. at his house and at his shop which would open to the public a month and a half from now. He stated he would meet me at either location.

I had not remembered reading anything about Euroreef skimmers so I told him I would check it out and let him know. Now I see that they are very highly rated, up in the same ranks as Aqua C which is the brand I was going to buy. I also read that the Euroreef is commonly cloned. This makes me nervous. The whole deal makes me nervous but was wondering what you all thought. The rest of his story is that he just moved here to the midwest from the west coast and that is why he can get such good deals and would beat anything on the internet. He seemed to have asked me all the right questions.. "What kind of tank are you setting up FO or reef? What kind of filtration? Sump? What kind of lighting?"

On the other hand.. someone is supposed to be giving me a 46g bow but that has yet to pan out and I am anxious to get started.

What should I look for if I should meet up with this guy? Is there anyway to confirm that the skimmer is an actual Euroreef made one. What are signs that a tank is of good quality?

Thanks for any input.

-Maximo

Hmmm...used equipment from someone you aren't sure if you can trust who couldn't even identify the brand of tank. Personally, I'd pass. If you get screwed on the deal, you probably won't have any recourse. Unless you don't mind risking $350, I'd spend my money somewhere reputable or with someone you know.

I would atleast go check it out, but if it looks sketchy I too would pass. Ofcourse tank and stand does cost too much around my parts (Indiana). I paid 150 for my tank, lights, and stand (55 gallons).

i think i payed $250 for my 46 gal bow. i got it from the lfs and it was the tank stand and light. and it was all new and it was the all-glass brand. good tank but i wish it was bigger now.

WOW.. I need to do some more shopping... Petsmart wants $460 for an Oceanic 46g bow front, stand and light. Sheesh..

-Maximo

Hmmm...used equipment from someone you aren't sure if you can trust who couldn't even identify the brand of tank. Personally, I'd pass. If you get screwed on the deal, you probably won't have any recourse. Unless you don't mind risking $350, I'd spend my money somewhere reputable or with someone you know.

yeah.. I'm thinkin you are right. I don't really want used anyway... I'll take used if it's free tho!

-Maximo

good ol pet stores... they have to make a living somehow... I lucked out and paid $50 for a 55 gal fw setup with stand and all accessories needed... of course I'm dumping all that stuff to setup something nice for my frogs... I don't know much about skimmers and bowfronts and what they would go for, but I personally wouldn't pay that much... I understand a person can't wait around for too long but I'd be knocking on the door of the person that said they'd give you one... Free is always the best way to go. Good luck on your quest...

Maximo said:
WOW.. I need to do some more shopping... Petsmart wants $460 for an Oceanic 46g bow front, stand and light. Sheesh..

-Maximo

Check some of the locally owned fish stores - not the big chains. They will often have better prices on tanks because they know if they can get you to buy a tank, then you have to buy all the other stuff that goes along with it. $460 for an Oceanic isn't all that high though. I have an All-glass and an Oceanic; both are nice, but the Oceanic is definitely the better made of the two.

I agree keep looking around I got my 65 gal all glass everything but water and fish for $550 (sand,wet/dry,pumps,tops,lights,salt,etc...) The store 1 mile down the road said $950 for the same thing...lol yeah I shop there cuz I have too much money--Right 8O

Back
Top Bottom