Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chem readings

Ok folks, here we go again... I've had my tank (29g w/10g sump) set up for about 4 weeks now...... I have been adding little bits at a time as I can. 3-4 weeks ago I added 10lbs of live sand and 3lbs of live rock in the sump..... 1week ago I added 40lbs of live sand.... Yesterday I added about 3lbs of live rock and 15lbs of base/dry rock in the DT and a clump of cheato algae in the sump tank....... Tonight I did a chem check and had the following results.....
Salt 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 20
I'm new to salt, so what does this mean?!?! Am I on the down slope of my cycle or is this normal levels? I have somebody that needs to regime some fish, but I don't want to move them just to out them in bad water...... How soon can this be done?!?! TIA..... You folks have helped me a lot this whole process and its nice to have every bodies knowledge and experiences to help!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You should be finishing up your cycle soon but every time you add more uncured rock to the tank you are extending your cycle. New live rock will have a lot of die off from organisms in the rock that dried out and died. Dry rock surprisingly has a ton of stored ammonia as well.

It is safe to add fish when you are no longer getting readings for ammonia / nitrite as well as low levels of nitrates (as close to 0 as is reasonable) although I would only do them 1 at a time every week or so to give BB the time to adjust.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok.... So basically every time I add either dry or live rock I'm going to get a little spike in my chems?!?! And as soon as that all levels out I should be good?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yep, pretty much. It's much better to just cure the rock before adding.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
yep, pretty much. It's much better to just cure the rock before adding.
That was my next question..... So how would I cure the rock before hand?!?! Do I do this with live rock or dry/base rock?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

To cure rock just put it in a separate container of salt water with some sort of water flow, either a powerhead or filter, and let it sit until you get 0 readings on both ammonia and nitrite. I would do it with both live rock and dry rock. The only type of rock this isn't necessarily needed is fully cured live rock although it would still be a good idea to put it through a short curing process.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com