Chemical question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsnuff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed quite a few anemone and other soft coral(I think) on the live rock I have purchased. Is there anything I can put in the tank to feed, and nuture these young guys? Thanks again for all the help.

Before we answer that question...we should ID what you have, it might be a pest, like aiptasia. Can you post some pics, or describe the critters in question?

I will try a pic, I do believe they called them aiptasia. Are they brown, finger like creatures?

Are they brown, finger like creatures?

Here is a pic of an aiptasia.

3aiptasia.jpg

They look very similar to this, some are a little more flattened out . What do I need to do? If these guys are a problem, I want rid of them. Thank you for the help.

Take a syringe, with a needle. And inject them with water with a high concentration of kalkwasser. Isnt that it, or is that for majano.

Will the distilled vinegar kill anything else in the system? I seriously thought of taking the rock out but it is my center piece and is 17lbs. :( Where would I find the kalkwasser? Will it harm anything else in the tank?

The vinegar will not harm other occupants of the tank. Do not directly squirt it on anything, just inject the aiptasia, if you miss and some gets into the water column, it will not harm anything, but to large a dose, directly on an animal, might harm it. Same goes for the kalk, they are just opposite sides of the same coin, vinegar is an acid and the low ph does the trick, and kalk is very alkaline with a ph of around 12 and does the same thing.

I have also used boiling water in the same method, with great success.

Yep, what rr said :D . I regularly use the vinegar through a syringe in my 10g. I have injected several large aiptasia amongst corals with no ill effects..save for some Xenia momentarily closing up. I use this simply because I don't have/use kalkwasser.

I've had mixed effects with boiling water. When they didn't die, they seemed to go on a reproducing frenzy. I had at one point easily 50-75 in my nano. I also had an explosion in my 30g. This could very well be coincidence but i just wanted to throw it out there.

First, let me thank all of you who have helped me with my aiptasia problem. I have injected most of them with distilled vinegar. I believe two got away before I could stick them. Do I need to remove the dead ones from the tank(if I can get them)? THanks again 8)

Back
Top Bottom