chemistry results after 2 weeks cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put 2 fresh raw shrimp in 75g tank on tuesday. Here are my chemisty results:
NH3/NH4 = 0.50

NO3 = 20

NO2 = 0.25

Ph = 8.4

Spg = 1.020

Temp = 78.0

So, do I leave shrimp in there and do a 30% water change now? Should we hook up protein skimmer? Please offer suggestions.

I would let the cycle go, no PWC, those spikes are part of the natural cycle. You should leave the shrimp in there, it will keep doing it's job.

Let it go. Wait until you see NH3 and NO2 at zero before doing a water change. You can remove the shrimp in a few days if the smell gets to be too much. Once you see a large spike in NO3 with no detectable NH3 or NO2, you can do a large water change and monitor levels for another week. If all levels remain appropriate you are ready to go. Remember that you should add livestock very slowly at first. I would not worry about the skimmer yet. You can start using one if you want, it will not hurt anything...won't really help much either. Good luck!

I concur dont do anything. You are well on your way. I would say about a few more weeks and we`ll be seing post about your first fish. Cant wait.

Back
Top Bottom