Chiller??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanker99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is a chiller necessary for a 15 gal? I live in southern Arizona and in the summer it gets past 100 degrees. I will be getting a 30 gal eventually soo my guess that it won't be a bad investment. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When it gets up to 100 degrees, I run the air conditioner to keep the house cool. It then in turn keeps the aquarium cool. If the air around your tank is at a constant lower temperature, the tank will stay somewhat close to it unless there is a large heat source near it...which you can see from people who run MH lamps over their tanks. Those are the people who normally require chillers. If running the AC isn't a viable option, then a chiler might be a viable option for your system. I personally try to avoid dropping so much money on a piece of equipment that I already have going to make sure my dog doesn't get heat stroke while I'm at work...chillers are expensive!
If you run the AC and your tank is still warmer than you want it, try a small desk fan clipped to the side of the tank pointed at the surface of the water. This will bring the temp down some...as long as the air around the tank is cooler than the tank itself of course!

Yea I get both of your ideas for sure. I also don't like to spend soo much money on a piece of equipment like sniperhank said. The chillers I've seen for sale are over $400!!! I do usually keep my ac on during the summer pretty low anyways. We shall see once summer comes : /. I just didn't know if I should start saving up or not lol. Thanks for the fast response guys!!!

True that!!! I always find something online that I need and it's usually on sale soo of course I have to buy it lol

Back
Top Bottom