chocolate chip starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

pensfan

I have a tank that's 3 weeks old and a week ago I bought the star fish. Friday it was on the back side of my aquarium and started to look a little limp. from then on it kept sliding down until it fell and landed on it's back sat morn. It never tried to right itself so later in the evening I put it right side up over some food. It hasn't moved from that position since then. All it does is curl it's arms. Not sure what's going on.

And, what were you expecting it to eat in a 3 week old tank :?

Sad to say, you need to take it back, give it away, or it's gonna die.

On a personal note: why does the industry even allow these things to continue to be sold? They can devistate an reef aquarium in no-time-flat. :(

My am is .25, nitrite is 2, nitrate is 20 and ph 8.2. the gravity is 1.024 and temp is 76F.

And, what were you expecting it to eat in a 3 week old tank

LOL, I imagine they were expecting the LFS to steere them in the right direction. Unfortunately some LFS are not the best at that...pensfan...we feel your pain. Some of us have been there before. That's what we're here for...to help you when you make mistakes.

Sad to say, you need to take it back, give it away, or it's gonna die.

From the limited info we have...I tend to agree with this statement...if the starfish isn't already dead.

On a personal note: why does the industry even allow these things to continue to be sold? They can devistate an reef aquarium in no-time-flat.

Unfortunately the aquarium industry is in it for the money. While there is a demand...someone will give us the supply. We hobbyests, as a group, have the power to make a difference...if no one buys them...they won't bring them in anymore.

pensfan said:
My am is .25, nitrite is 2, nitrate is 20 and ph 8.2. the gravity is 1.024 and temp is 76F.

OK, your tank is cycling. You should remove any fish or other living critter that isn't nailed down to som LR and get them in some good water. Unless you have another tank...that means back to the LFS. Please read this topic on fishless cycling http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=101 and this one on the nitrogen cycle http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=100. You may consider wading through all the stickeys in the Getting Started forum, lots of good info there :D . At any rate the high ammonia and nitrite are killing (if not killed) the starfish. As a stop gap measure...you can do a 50% waterchange and that will drop the ammonia and nitrite by 1/2, that should help, until you can get the star back to the LFS.

Well, not that I stick up for the LFS that much. But not all people have reef tanks. Choc Chip starfish are fine in FO tanks. I know many people that have them and they are doing well.

The other comment I have is that alot of folks go into a store, point at a tank and say, "I want that", it is bagged and out the door. It is not the responsibility of the LFS to monitor every purchase. It is the responsibility of the buyer to do research. It would be different if someone asked and was told incorrectly, but that is not always so.

Ok thought I'd add in my 2 cents on this one. First off I have a CCS in my reef tank...and he doesn't bother anything in the tank. Not my corals, not my shrimp, not my feather duster, heck he only goes after the snails to get the algea off of the shells. At times I'm starting to believe that people simply clump the CCS with all other starfish when it comes to what they eat. Second point is that I've had my CCS since the begining...before I even knew what cycling was...heck before I knew the difference between SPS & LPS corals.

All I can do is talk from experience with my CCS and that is that they LOVE red kelp, and that they are great cleaners of red algea. Any time the lovely red color has started to creep up on my tank my littl CCS is working his way to it to eat it ALL up. Now as for his legs being curled up there are one of two options, 1) if just the tips are curled up this is normal, from what I've observed it seems to have "taste buds" at the end of the feet that tell it where food can be found. 2) if the whole foot is curled this normally means that it is having a heard time adjusting and should be put into a place of his own to "calm down".

Just some more info on your CCS is that he is not a "true starfish" but more closely related to a bristlestar. Plus don't force him to feed by placing him on food...there is only a 50/50 chance he will take it, I've found placing the food near my star will get him more active for the food item then planting him on it. Also remember they are SLOW eaters taking time to eat what they have caught. Now I may not be a "expert" on a CCS but these are just a few of the observations I have noted on mine.

Peace,
DHS

At times I'm starting to believe that people simply clump the CCS with all other starfish when it comes to what they eat.

No, unfortunately they are not. CCS are meat eaters, I've seen it with my own eyes. I once watched a CCS slide over to an anemone, turn it over and start feasting away. I'm glad you don't have problems with yours, but it is not supposed to be the norm. All animals are individuals and must be treated as such...but in some instances it is best not to take the risk.

If you can get one...I'd love to see a pic of your CCS.

Well then I guess I'm just lucky that my CCS finds enough to eat that he doesn't bother any of the other "inmates"

BTW here are the pics of my CCS and my tank:

Back
Top Bottom