Choosing not to have snails & hermits??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yes they are part of the clean up crew but I am thinking of skipping them on this next tank because of the fact that their lifespan is so short & I don't have a LFS to keep replacing them. Also since hermits can be detrimental to featherdusters. Wouldn't it be just fine if I skipped them & used other cleaning inverts like sea stars?

The thing about snails is that they are able to eliminate algae better than most any other inverts. I do believe you could keep a sucussful tank without hermits. Also, check out getting a sea urchin, roval urchin take care of algae, live long, nad that sp. doesnt have long spines.

I have many snails that are well over a year old. Plus, some even reproduce and I rarely have to replace them. I also agree that hermits are not that necessary for tank cleaning.

If you are wanting to keep corals of any kind, the urchins are out.

i keep both hermits and snails, but i only have about 10 snails in my 125. they don't really seem to do that much in my tanks and die off too quickly. i keep lots of hermits because they're fun to watch and seem to live longer (i have one that's 4 years old -- i marked his shell so i could keep up with him out of curiosity).

I have a blue tuxedo urchin that will sometimes knock smaller frags over but other than that is reef safe.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom