Choosing One Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 60g cube (mixed reef) and want to add a single shrimp. I've never had them in any of my tanks, so I'm asking for feedback from those of you that have. If you could do just one, what would it be and why?

Skunk cleaners or gold coral banded. Not the regular coral banded though, the gold stay smaller and are much prettier

Skunk cleaners would be my vote. By far the most social if the shrimp.

I totally agree with this, if you are wanting to be able to view your shrimp a lot.

I've kept a fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and several sexy shrimp, and have cared for many skunk cleaners, peppermints, sexys, fires, and coral bandeds at my lfs jobs. I do think that skunk cleaners are by far the most gregarious. Second to them (if you want to go a lot cheaper), I'd probably say peppermints.

IME the skunk cleaners will be the most visible. I have one and a fire shrimp now. I have to look for the fire shrimp unless I'm feeding, and even then he only shows 50% of the time. Peppermints are very cryptic. Coral bandeds can sometimes be aggressive, and are often not tolerant of other shrimp.

Skunk cleaners are great, I can't put my hand in the tank without them coming up and sitting on me lol. They would be my choice

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you are only going to go with one shrimp, I say go with a coral banded. They don't hide as much as some others like a fire shrimp, look pretty awesome with the huge claws and long antenna and easily can be one of the most striking additions. (y)

I have one and he is awesome and he definitely is king of the tank currently. I just recently added a camel shrimp and am watching to see how they get along. So far so good, about two-three times a day the coral banded will wander around until he finds the camel, and then he flexes his claws as if he's screaming "RARRRH!!!", the camel scoots away and the coral banded is satisfied and goes about his business.
It is actually kinda funny to watch. So far there has been no real attacks or aggression, just flexing and showing off.

Sounds like it's hunting the camel. And not sure if it applied to you, but camels aren't reef safe

Sounds like it's hunting the camel. And not sure if it applied to you, but camels aren't reef safe

Not a reef tank, just fish and a few inverts.
If he is hunting him wouldn't he attempt to attack as well.
Like I said, all he does is flex his claws and lung a little then leaves the camel alone for hours. Plus he seems to be doing it less frequently now that the camel has been in there for about a week.
But I'm watching to see how this "relationship" progresses. LOL:popcorn:

I have skunks and peppermint shrimp, and two grown pistol shrimp, and god knows how many babies, they have been fine so far, could they become a problem?

That explains why none but the coral banded go where the pistols live, thank you.

That explains why none but the coral banded go where the pistols live, thank you.

Lol. Glad I could share. I wanted to do multiple shrimp in the nano but after I saw the video figured I'd have to wait until after I move. All the more reason to do two SW tanks. ????

Well I did it.
by posting here that my coral banded was ok with the camel shrimp, I jinxed it.
He has been on a relentless quest to get him all day. :(
Looks like the camel will be moving into my in-tank 'fuge.

out of the three I have the scarlet skunk shrimps my favorite than maybe my CB shrimp than the fire shrimp as he hides the most
also just picked up a purple lobster now he's something to watch and fun to feed

Back
Top Bottom