Chromis Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
For the first addition to my tank since 'the plague' that hit me, i wanna add around 6 green chromis (small ones 3/4" -1") , can i get them all at once , and quarintine them in a 15G tank before adding them to my main tank, or is it too much of a bioload. And once i add them to the main tank should the tank be able to handle the bioload ( its been fully cycled)

Thanks

what size is the big tank, and it seems to be a bit to much for the 15, but there is a chance it oculd be done if it is odne slowly.

I think I'd go with three if I were you. You'll have a hard time keeping them in the 15 without some ammonia/nitrite issues unless you have a very mature biofilter ready to go. Even then, I believe you'll be doing very frequent water changes. Chromis get about 3" long also and that's going to eat up most, if not all, of the room in the 72. They grow pretty fast too. I have 3 of them in a 180 and they make a nice group...they stay pretty close together and don't bother anything or anyone. JMHO.

I would suggest starting with 3 and then add 2 or 3 more at a later date. This will most closely match their natural relationships.

ok maybe i will try that then. are there any fish that stay small and school together i could get, i think it would look very cool

FWIW, I have 5 in my 75gal and they are doing great. They do not bother any of the other fish and stay in a nice school about 90% of the time. They are kind of aggressive eaters though. My pair of Maroon clowns and fire fish seem to get their share. Of course I did this before I knew the full benefits of QT. I was lucky.

In a 15gal QT I would go with 3 and then 2 or 3 the second round if you really like them. I heard they do best in odd numbers that is why I went with 5. I am always tempted to add more, but then I just remember how big my clowns can get.

If you decide to go with them I think you will be happy they seem to be a great hardy fish.

Good luck,

afilter,
what other fish do you have in your tank?
I'm just trying to judge how many i can get away with.

Currently have the following:
2 Maroon Clowns(Pair)
fire fish
Domino Damsel
5 Green Chromis
1 Brittle Star
1 peppermint shrimp
4 Condy Anenome
3 Feather dusters
Snails and Hermits

Mostly FOWLR set up. Do not have the lighting or $ to do reef now. The Anenome are doing well in the relatively low light(Twin Tube blue atinic and 10,000k 80 wts total)

I would like to add a dwarf angel or possibly a tang, but I am aware that the Maroons and the damsel can get pretty big so I am waiting on that idea. If the clowns reach maturity they can be 5"+ as well as the damsel which would look pretty cool and another fish would probably be too much.

Here's a pic of my Chromis. I have 7.

chromis7.jpg

Awesome pic!....I can't wait to win the lottery so I can go reef, then the wife won't have a heart attack :)

Nice looking tank.

Oh...I hit submit to soon :oops:

I was going to say that my 5 chromis school basically the same way, just not in as nice of a tank :)

Guess I should start buying lottery tickets

wow awesome looking tank
haha whatd you have to bribe them with to get the chromis and all the other fish in one picture

Back
Top Bottom