Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "Fission" skimmer will fit the 12 gallon Nanocube, check out
www.nano-reef.com for more information and pictures detailing the skimmer. I don't run one right now, but I am thinking about picking one up! You should also check out the Surface Skimmer that is available from NanoBob on the same site ... I believe you can also buy one at www.nanotuners.com ... the price seems a little high but the quality of craftmanship is amazing. I had my homemade cassette case skimmer running and within 2 hours of switching over to NanoBob's model the surface of my cube was crystal clear!!!

P.S. - I think if I remember correctly my Panther Chameleon was $299 .... unfortunately the wife couldn't stand the chirping of my cricket farm anymore and made me choose SW aquarium or Chameleons' .... ... I will get another one some day!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will pick up one of the fission skimmers. I think Current USA makes them and I have been pretty pleased with the quality of other Current products I have, mainly an Orbit and Satiellete lighting fixture. I was just complaning to my girl friend that the Nano didnt have a built in skimmer so I think this will be a great addition, especially when thinking about corals.

Hopefully my live sand will be here today so I can get that added. I put in 8 gallons of my reef tanks water yesterday and added some Dameselfish (a two spot and yellow tail) this morning. I am hoping with the cycled reef water, live rock and rubble, live sand, and chemi pure bag from my reef aquarium that cycling moves along quickly. Ill throw some pics up on my photobucket link. I am going to run some nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and ph tests here later today to see where things are balancing out at and compare those to results after live sand has been added.

As for my cricket farm, I keep it in the basement so I dont hear any complaints. That is the only aggravation I have found with keeping Chameleons and other insect loving reptiles is that they need live crickets which are a pain to keep and handle. 299 sounds about right for a panther, a reptile shop where I got my vieled cham's was selling a nice blue morph male for $325. That is a little too steep for me, but wouldnt be once I had a better handle on cham care, the panthers are supposed to be about as hardy and have similar care requirments to the vieleds.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
Hey those are good links Jermz79.
I didnt know they made a mini UV i want one of those now.
I think we need a Nano forum. lol
Old 12-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
you can go to saltwaterfish.com and read review about those protein skimmers for the nanos. his name is jacksdad in the forum. theyve had GREAT reviews.... http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=169864

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
oh and we do need a nano thread on this site, but not for just the "nano" brand....

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
this has been discussed, repeatedly, please drop the "we need a nano forum". Obviously you are talking about things just fine. Administration has said that there is not a need here.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
Old 12-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1uno_00
Hey those are good links Jermz79.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah that fission skimmer sounds like it is a pretty impressive unit. A mini UV would be great!! The nano is still doing good, ph tested out to about 8.4 - nitrite suprisingly was 0 and nitrate was about .5 ppm with the salinity holding at about 1.026.

I dont know if you guys know but http://www.nano-reef.com has a nice nano forum all around and a dedicated forum for nano-cubes and the Current USA Nano-Pod. Lots of intersting discussion on the subject of small reef aquariums.

Nano-aquaria of any kind is really "something of its own" since many of the rules found in traditional aquaria do not apply or need re-adjusted on the nano scale "especially where reefs are concerned." Im sure most of you know that many experts consider nano reefs the hardest of all saltwater aquariums to keep because of the amount of chemical fluctuation that takes place. I think the challenge is realitive to what you put in the tank. On the box my cube came in JBJ had a picture with a huge full sized carpet anemone in a 12 gallon nano-cube. No doubt this was photoshopped, as a full sized nano-cube is nowhere near sized right for a carpet anemone. In fact I dont think Ill even try a bubble tipped in my cube, a pink tipped maybe.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are some pics of the cube w/fish and live sand and a small piece of live rock. I am hoping to add some hermits, snails and clownfish pair this weekend. My assumption is that using my mature reef's water w/ live rock has totally bypassed the cycle since I would have expected to see some nitrite rising or ammonia by now if the tank was going to cycle ... any ideas on that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s4020132s.jpg (27.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg s4020129s.jpg (35.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg s4020129s.jpg (35.9 KB, 16 views)

Tags
nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com