Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Chronicles of a Nano Tank

Well I got a nano-cube deluxe from my grandmother for xmas. It is the 12 gallon version with 48 watts of actinic light and 10,000k white light. It has the built in filtration module that contains a nice mix of chemical and bio filtration.

I thought I would chronicle my work with the nano-cube, it is set up here in our office as a small show tank for when clients and employees are in. Since nano-reef keeping is getting ultra-popular and somewhat trendy in the U.S. I thought this may be of help to those hoping to start a small reef aquarium. Remember though in these cases small is not easy and nano tanks, especially saltwater reefs can be tricky and challenging.

As of right now the tank is naturally just starting its cycle. I set it up on xmas day and added water and got the filtration running. I added salt shortly after and the initial salinity spiked to about 1.030 the addition of some fresh water its at a more maintanable 1.026. I just added Cycle so I have not even yet taken a nitrate or nitrite reading on the tank and since there is no fish in it will wait to do that. My hope is to let the tank run for a short time and in the next few days add live sand and possibly a damsel fish.

Go to http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a161/macman7010/ for pics and Ill keep everyone updated.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
Sounds great!

Old 12-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Add some LR, spare the damsel! Good cured LR or even uncured will cycle better and not torture the little fishy. JM2C
Old 12-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good idea mad man mac ... will do
Old 12-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice tank! I love my 12gal DX.

On another note ... I LOVE that Veiled Chameleon!!! I used to have a veiled and a Panther. The veiled was a little skiddish as I rescued him from a horrible previous owner. The panther was my favorite, the color morphs he would go through with his moods were unbelieveable! Some of the most amazing animals if you ask me!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Jermz,

I got my female and once I learned about egg laying and egg binding I got a male and am breeding them. She already laid a clutch of about 50 eggs which are incubating and will likely lay again here fairly soon. They are amazing creatures, my gf and I both have loved them and finally worked up the nerve to give it a shot! Panthers are even more gorgeous, I would like to get one but they command a high price.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a nanocube deluxe and am very happy with it. If it is an option, ditch the sponge blocks, the ceramic rings and bioballs for all LR rubble instead. I filled up the first filter compartment of mine with LR rubble, on top is a bag of chemi-pure and some Poly Filter. The second container is filled up completely with LR rubble and the third compartment has the return powerhead, heater and more LR rubble. I also added another small powerhead to the main part of the tank for more circulation.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats what I did last night Lando, I added live rock to the first 2 compartments and threw in a bag of chemi pure. I also put a visi-therm in the last compartment. I am thinking that will make for far better filtration.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 12-29-2005, 12:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
I love My Aquapod. Its pretty similar to the Nanos.
You may want to use this. http://www.ah-supply.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=9236
It works great. and The micro bubbles it releases back into the tank aren't as bad as people are saying.

It fits in my 24 Gal. it may fit in your 12.

Tags
nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com