Circulation Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLehman72

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 Gallon Reef and want create ideal currents. I am picking up a wavemaker and want to know how many circulation pumps should I use? I have the return from my sump which has an 800gph pump on it and a separate 500 GPH circulating pump. I have 100 lbs of live rock stacked along the entire length of the back with open water the entire width of the

1. Should I add another pump?
2. How should I aim them in a 55 gallon?
3. I've heard that you should diminish wave action at night to replicate natural environment

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

Kevin

I to have the same question. I have a 60 gal with one Powerhead at 750 gph.

For sure I would aim one slightly to the top for good surface aggitation. This will help to aerate the tank and promote good gas exchange at the surface that will help your PH to stay stable. As far as the rest of the flow. Good chaotic flow is best. That`s what they experience on the reef.

I have a 55 Gallon Reef and want create ideal currents. I am picking up a wavemaker and want to know how many circulation pumps should I use? I have the return from my sump which has an 800gph pump on it and a separate 500 GPH circulating pump. I have 100 lbs of live rock stacked along the entire length of the back with open water the entire width of the

1. Should I add another pump?
2. How should I aim them in a 55 gallon?
3. I've heard that you should diminish wave action at night to replicate natural environment

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

Kevin

why dont you try using the output of the return one one side and the 550G powerhead on the other and see how that works for you

The only problem with that is I cannot control the return with the wave maker. I am sure I need to add another circulating pump, but how should I direct them? I have the return pump pointed towards the surface to create agitation. Should I point the other two towards the corals, away from the corals??

I have mine directed pretty much at each others flow so that it crashes and creates a chaotic water pattern. :)

Back
Top Bottom