Circulation without excessive flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on pointing my powerheads so that there is proper circulation for my 55 gal reef aquarium without blowing things around too much. Currently sand is definitely moving and some Anthelia look like palm trees in a hurricane!

I am operating three JBJ SPS-1800, each of which do 290 GPH. I have a fourth which is not in the tank, but I could add it.

Recommendations appreciated!

Have the flows meet on the middle of the front glass. Maybe 2 placed on the sides near the rear facing the front. Is 3 of'm maybe too much though?

Somebody remind us, what is the recommended flow rate for a tank? With 3 of those, that's 870gph for a 55g.

Currently sand is definitely moving and some Anthelia look like palm trees in a hurricane!
Maybe not add the fourth. Possibky talking the dif between a category 2 and 4 hurricane. :wink:

another good option is to put one lower in the tank to help stir things from the bottom to the top... i have seen many tank where they have good surface agitation but nothing lower.

If the tank is new the sand is easily blown around because it does not have a good bactera bed to keep it 'stuck' in place. A simple fanning of the hand will cause a huge sand storm in a new tank where as the same fanning of the hand in a established tank will hardly move the sand on the surface.

As Ray described the concept of random indirect current is more important than a jet stream flow. By having the powerheads positioned to flow in opposition the current that is produced is random and indirect for the most part. Having them meet in the middle front of the glass or having two shoot across the back at eachother, etc

I have a similar set up w/ 3 MJ 1200 (295 GPH) PH's. I have 2 mounted on opposite sides pointing towards the front glass so they meet in the middle of the tank and one blowing straight through the other two. This creates good random currents and plenty of surface agitation. If you don't have much LR disrupting the flow you could probably get away w/ removing one of the PH's if it's too much.

I have 2 MJ 900's and one Minijet 606 in my 29gal. and what I have done is place one 900 in the lower right hand corner and one 900 in the upper left corner with the nozzles pointed upwards the 606 is against the back wall pointing directly forward. This creates a nice whirlpool effect ... with the 606 disturbing the 900's creating a little random flow as well.

Try that ... ditch one of your larger PH's for a smaller one and place it inbetween the 2 larger ones!

I hope that's all understandable!!! :?

I guess the trick is to get them situated so that the back of the tank gets good flow of water. It's a puzzle I have been wondering about for some time.

I have my rock positioned so that it leans up against the back but there is room for water to blow through, Also I have plenty of room from the rocks touching the sides of the glass and the the front of the glass. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's circling the water somewhat clockwise and lots of random current

Back
Top Bottom