Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Clam hitchhiker?

There's a bivalve attached to my new live rock, maybe 3x4 inches, stained completely red with coraline. I thought he was long dead until he started moving around today.

This is my first salt tank and water params are amm 2.0 ppm, nitrite .50 ppm, nitrate 20 ppm on day 3, which is stellar, but will he survive the cycle? What can I do to help him survive? Should I move him into a smaller tank that I can keep relatively ammonia-free until the main tank cycles? How does one detatch a clam? What/how do I feed or supplement? I'm not sure what kind of bivalve he is so idk if clam care webpages apply.

Also, my PH is only 7.6. How do I up it?

Katweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I doubt it is a clam, but some other bivalve. As you are cycling, there isn't much other than water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0. You can't remove it as it will most likely kill it. In reality, I wouldn't worry about its existence and keep going business as usual.
Can you take a picture to ID it?
In terms of you ph, that is fine. Just make sure you have a power head moving water at the surface for proper CO2 exchange and you don't have to worry about pH.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've kept one alive by dosing seachem prime during a cycle. The next batch of live rock had 2 one them but I forgot to but prime in that tank and sadly they didn't make it
restartfishkper is offline   Reply With Quote

clam, hitchhiker

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com