Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't want to go too long without an ammonia source, so if it takes longer than planned.. add a little.

I've read about clownfish hosting all kinds of things. xenias, fake plants, ceramics.. anything lol

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here are today's test results.

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .5
nitrate 20

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yesterday's results on the 10 gal. were a little dissappointing. It's good that we waited.

Here are today's results. We're anxious to get fish!

A question: There is a pile that looks like dead worms on the sand in the 30 gallon tank...... Could it possibly be excrement from something?

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 40
Old 11-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartins View Post
A question: There is a pile that looks like dead worms on the sand in the 30 gallon tank...... Could it possibly be excrement from something?
If it is, I would have to be a pretty big "something" to leave that much behind in one place. Can you post a picture of it?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is this a pile of dead worms or excrement? We've noticed this since day 1. The picture was actually taken a few weeks back. The pile has grown a little each day. There is a peanut worm, at least that's what we think it is, that's living in one of the live rocks just above where this pile is, but think it's probably too much excrement for it to be from that. Also, still a little unsure about the clicking sounds at night. We haven't seen anything, just have heard clicking sounds. Also, some of the feather dusters that we once had growing on the LR are gone. Do you have any idea of what this is and what we can do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	worms.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	59463  
Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wish I could help but I am pretty new and have never seen anything like that. Curious to see what others think.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Freak

We posted the picture in the ID forum as well; hopefully someone will be able to help.

Here are today's test results for the 10 gal. It's been 48 hours with both ammonia and nitrites reading 0, so I think it's now fully cycled. We also did a 4 gal. water change, bringing the nitrates now to 10.....Should we do another 4 gal. water change to bring the nitrates lower, or is 10 low enough to purchase our first fish.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20 (before the water change)
SG 1.027
temp. 78 F

30 gal. test results. The 30 is close to being cycled too, and we did a 12 gal. water change.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .25
nitrate 20
SG 1.026
temp. 76 F

test results after12 gal. water change on 30 gal.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
Old 11-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

While many say 10 is more than acceptable for fish, 0 is better. For me, I would do one more water change and then head to the lfs for my fish. I want to see some pics when they are in the tank.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Freak

Our first purchases: 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 firefish goby, & 1 snail - all slowly acclimating at the moment. We'll post some pictures soon.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartins View Post
Our first purchases: 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 firefish goby, & 1 snail - all slowly acclimating at the moment. We'll post some pictures soon.
That is great to hear. You guys have been very patient.

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com