Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be careful, firefish are jumpers!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, that is the reason I didn't get a firefish. Make sure you having a lid on there.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here are pictures of our first purchases for the 10 gallon taken on friday.

We taped up any openings in the hood to prevent the firefish from jumping out. It's pretty shy right now, hopefully it'll stay out longer once it gets used to it's new home and us. We've fed it some frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp and it will come out to quickly grab a piece and then goes back to hiding. The nassarius snail and peppermint shrimp are both active. Do you have any advice on how to get the firefish to be more friendly? Will it help when we add the clowns later on?

We also purchased some things from reefcleaners.org on Saturday: 1 pods+, 8 Dwarf Planaxis, 5 Empty Hermit Shells (for possible future hermit crabs), 2 Virgin Nerites, and a 10 gallon quick crew containing: 10 Dwarf Ceriths, 3 Nassarius, 6 Florida Ceriths, 2 Large Nerites, & 2 Small to Medium Nerites. We'll divide all of the snails between the 2 tanks.

The 30 gal. was also cycled by Sunday and we purchased 2 pajama cardinals and 2 peppermint shrimp for that tank.

We'll test the water parameters later this morning and post our results to so we can see how the beneficial bacteria are handling the new bioload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snail.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	59970   Click image for larger version

Name:	firefish.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	59971  

Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	59972  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fantastic. From my limited experience adding more fish will bring the shy ones out a bit more. Expect him to be shy for a few days while he gets used to the new world he is in.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, they should come out with more fish. They will always be the first to run and hide though. I have a firefish in each tank and they do great with my clowns

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hopefully adding in a pair of clowns later this week will help the firefish be more social.

Also, we found one empty skin from one of the peppermint shrimp in the 30 gal. this morning.....what do you think happened? molting or a predator? mantis shrimp? What should we do?

We had a couple of small brown anemone looking things in the 30 gal., that are gone this morning - so I'm thinking that the peppermint shrimp were a good purchase, but I've also just learned that peppermint shrimp possibly eat feater dusters. I like our little feather dusters and don't want to loose them.

Here are our water test results. It looks like the tanks are handling the new bio load well.

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10 (Should we do a sm. water change to bring this closer to 0?)
SG 1.028 (we'll add some top off water)
temp. 79 F

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F
Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were a preditor I don't think you would have found the skin. Sounds to me like it molted. My fire shrimp molted over the weekend.

10 on the nitrates is not bad but 0 is better. I would not say you need to do a pwc but it never hurts.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #108
Aquarium Advice Freak

We'll just watch and see what happens with the shrimp for now. How often do you do a pwc?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

PWC will depend on a lot of factors bioload, feeding, and even the fish. Clowns are very messy eaters. When starting a new tank or adding fish I keep a close eye on my nitrates and ammonia, an increase in either one will mean a water change. I change about 10 to 20 percent on my tanks once a week. I figure before the added rock and sand not after.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do a 10% PWC once a week even though my AM, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate are all 0 even before doing the water change. I figure it does some good for me. 1. It keeps me in the routine so I don't get lazy, 2. It ensures my water conditions are the best I can make them and 3. it keeps the Calcium and trace elements up so I don't have to dose for my corals. Well, at least I don't have to dose "Yet" but I am sure as I get more that will change.

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com