Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh man, sorry to hear about you fish and crab. Not sure what is going on. Just keep a very close eye on parameters and make sure everything is in tip top shape. Sometimes, a fish just doesn't do well in captivity no matter what you do for them.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

The hermit might have molted the fire fish it might have been stress. Most marine fish are poisoned in order to be captured and the after effects take weeks or months to show up.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

It happens. From what I've read on here and from personal experience newer-ish tanks are very unpredictable.

Crabs are pretty hardy. It's very possible it molted.. one of mine just did. Do you see anything in the shell still.. or in another shell? Once they shed their old body they will tuck themselves into the very back of the shell for a while while they grow their new exterior.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #134
Aquarium Advice Freak

We'll have to check out the shell. It's upside down and the body was quite a distance from the shell and then yesterday was gone, so I figured the peppermint shrimp probably ate the body.

Everything else looks like it's doing very well, infact we're still finding new things: worms, small featherdusters, and tiny pods in the sand bed. There is one huge bristle worm. I haven't seen the whole thing, but what I saw of it was about 4 - 6 inches long and quite thick.

There is something growing one one of the live rocks in the 10 gallon tank that is brownish. We'll have to take a picture to post to make sure it's ok.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #135
Aquarium Advice Freak

We still haven't seen the hermit crab, so I think it's probably gone.

We purchased an ocellaris clownfish pair for the 10 gal. yesterday. The smaller one has one pectoral fin that's smaller than the other. The children named it Nemo.

Can you ID the brown thing that's growing on the live rock for us?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 gal. clownfish pair.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	61755   Click image for larger version

Name:	brown thing on live rock.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	61756  

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clowns look great. Two in a 10 gallon is really pushing it. They are messy eaters so make sure to keep up with pwc's cause your trates will go up fast in a small tank.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #137
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wondering, what do any of you feed your fish/invetebrates?

We've tried Ocean Nutrition's Prime Reef Flakes, and Formula One frozen cubes and the clowns and PJ cardinals don't seem to eat them very well. We also have frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis shrimp that they take to fine, just wondering for variety to keep everything healthy. Also, should we be feeding the feather dusters anything specific?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed ocean nutrition's Formula II Flakes, Hikari bio-pure frozen mysis, and Rod's food seaweed sheets.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feed New Life Spectrum Marine Formula pellets and that is it. According to all the LFS I have talked to it gives a great blend of foods and all my fish love it and eat very well.

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com