Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Freak

Todays test results.

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .25
nitrate 80

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia .25
nitrite 1
nitrate 80

Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you can find out what rock the mantis is in; I'd remove that rock. That's what I had to do. I wouldn't add any fish until you find it, as they sometimes do eat fish (that's what I sometimes feed mine )

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mantis shrimp are pretty smart you might have a hard time getting it with a bottle trap. They actually learn who feeds them and will beg for food. I have seen a couple of them they aren't the cutest things around but they are quite the little characters. If I found one I would have to make a species only tank for it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Freak

Our power went out onSaturday night, and I didn't hear any clicking/snapping sounds - so I'm thinking the noise that I heard was possibly coming from one of the filters or maybe we trapped the shrimp and didn't realize it.?

Here are today's test results. Not quite there, but getting closer!

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite between 0 and .25
nitrate 80
SG 1.026
temp. 79 F
calcium 460 ppm

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 1
nitrate 40
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F
calcium 460 ppm
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartins
Our power went out onSaturday night, and I didn't hear any clicking/snapping sounds - so I'm thinking the noise that I heard was possibly coming from one of the filters or maybe we trapped the shrimp and didn't realize it.?

Here are today's test results. Not quite there, but getting closer!

10 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite between 0 and .25
nitrate 80
SG 1.026
temp. 79 F
calcium 460 ppm

30 gal.
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 1
nitrate 40
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F
calcium 460 ppm
Occasionally my heater clicks, maybe that's it?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Freak

The 10 is fully cycled, yeah! We'll check the levels again tomorrow morning to be sure that we have a full 48 hours of 0 ammonia and nitrite and then do a water change to bring down the nitrates to as close to 0 as possible.

10 gallon test results:
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
SG 1.026
temp. 78 F

We plan to purchase our first fish by this weekend. Should we continue dosing ammonia to feed the BB until we get the fish? If so, how much should we dose? We have decided that our first fish purchase is going to be a mated pair of ocellaris clownfish, if our LFS can get them for us. We'd also like to get a feather duster at the same time as we've seen clownfish take to them as they would an anemone. We'd also like to get a few snails and maybe a scarlet hermit crab. Are we going to fast? Would that be too much for the bio load? Also, should we wait on the snails and hermit crab until we have more algae or can we just feed them algae wafers, algae sheets, and shrimp pellets?

In another week or 2 we'd like to add another fish, maybe a firefish or a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair......any suggestions? We plan to keep the 10 gal. as a nano FOWLR. Do you have any opinions, fish suggestions, or invetebrate suggestions that you would like to share with us? Please let us know what you like best about the fish or invetebrate you suggest. We'll research all stocking suggestions over the next 1 - 2 weeks and then take a family vote on what will finish out our 10 gallon set up. We'll be sure to let you know how the voting goes!

30 gallon test results:
pH 7.8
ammonia 0
nitrite .5
nitrate 20
SG 1.025
temp. 78 F

Last night I held my ear up to the 30 gal. aquarium to find out where the clicking was coming from, and it's definately the Whisper filter. The clicking sound stops when it's turned off; it's just strange that I've only noticed the sound at night......maybe because it keeps me awake thinking it's a mantis shrimp.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yay! Fish shopping. Have you found a good lfs
Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

congratulations on taking your time to do it diligently right!
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your initial stock list is fine. The fish will be the bulk of the bio-load and the CUC will actually help to offset that a bit. As for the Feather Duster I can't help you there. I have never really checked into them. I plan on it though because I think I am going to get one. We have a couple of small ones that popped out of our LR and my wife thinks they are pretty soooooooo, I figure might as well get a big one. You shouldn't have to feed the crabs. They will get all they need from the left over food from the fish and from the waste that collects on the sand bed. As for dosing ammonia between now and when you get fish, I don't think you need to. If you want, it wouldn't hurt except that you will be generating Nitrate that you will want to get rid of before putting the fish in. I could be wrong but I think the BB will do fine for a few days without dosing.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds good. We'll check out liveaquaria.com to see about feather duster care and their requirements.

Does anyone have a large feather duster that their clownfish host?

Tags
setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com