classroom setting up 10 gal. QT this afternoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
We're doing this as a classroom project so we're going to need lots of help along the way. Our fist step is to set up a 10 gallon QT this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get a larger aquarium to set up soon, but we're starting with this for now.

Do you have any suggestions to get us started?

For now we're starting with just live sand, we can possibly get a piece or 2 of live rock on Thursday.

Equipment:
10 gal. aquarium (rinsed)
Whisper 40 filter
Tetra heater

What's the QT for? Usually QTs are bare necessities - heater, filter, and some PVC or flower pots for hiding. You really don't want to use sand or live rocks; they can harbor the parasites and any medications you use will kill off the live rock/sand.

Actually, it kind of sounds like they don't have the biggie tank, so it's a semi-display, semi-quaranteen. For a class room that actually makes a bit of sense on some levels.

What I'd do, especially if it's a class project, is go ahead and set it up as a "FOWLR", get the live rock (10 to 15 lbs) and cycle it. Gives you a chance to explaine the process to the class (And some basic organic chemistry depending on their age group. And in spite of the general disdane with which they are held, letting younger kids do a test strip (I'd double check readings myself) could make them feel engaged.

Get yourself a Occ. clown (might get away with a pair. Or a fire fish too. Love those little guys) or something else that could do okay in a ten (Some would debate if anything can, but we're talking about a nano-tank here). Then the tank is going, and when you get a bigger tank, you can transfer just about everything over (Might need a bigger heater. Depending on tank you might just transfer filter and then not be overly worried about a cyle. Also would then need less new live rock) Whatever livestock you get, you want hardy.

Keep in mind, with a ten you're going to have to watch the water like a hawk. I've got a five I've managed, finally, to balance, so it's not like it can't be done.

i would stock your tank with A PAIR OF ALREADY PAIRED clowns and a goby of some sort

i would just make sure the clowns are ALREADY PAIRED because 10 gal is to small for them to go through the process of pairing

Thank you for all of the help! We were actually thinking of using the 10 gal as a quarantine as we just happen to have the empty tank, extra filter, and heater. We'd like to cycle the 10 gal. to have it ready to quarantine any future purchases and hopefully have a 30 - 50 gal. up and running at some point. We're currently looking at cl for a good deal.

Right now we have the live sand (donated from carib sea) on the bottom and it's filled with Instant Ocean mixed with water according to the package directions.

It looks like the salinity is at the high end of the range on our hydrometer. I'm not sure if we're using the hydrometer correctly, though. Can someone help with how to use it? - it's an Instant Ocean brand.

Also, for cycling - should we use fish food, pure ammonia or raw shrimp?

Pure ammonia if you can. By the way, what was the exact number on the hydrometer? All you have to do is dip it in the water and look what number the lever points to.

And make sure it is sitting on something level so you get a true ready. Should be around 1.025 - 1.026. What a cool class project. Must be a good teacher. :) What age group?

Come to think of it, it could be a good teacher or one who wanted a SW tank and figured this was a way he/she could get it. hehehehe Just kidding. Great project for a class.

Thank you. Yes, I think it will be a great class project. Actually we homeschool and have students in 11th, 9th, 4th and 1st grade levels.

Wish you were my teacher..all we do is put diet and non diet sodas in water and see which one floats or sinks...yippie science rules hahaha

Wish you were my teacher..all we do is put diet and non diet sodas in water and see which one floats or sinks...yippie science rules hahaha
That is literally what I just did in science class today. My science teacher has like 4 great tanks but refuses to make them into fish tanks. "They are too much work" :/

Greenturtle said:
That is literally what I just did in science class today. My science teacher has like 4 great tanks but refuses to make them into fish tanks. "They are too much work" :/

Haha really? Sooo stupid. Hek i wud fo all the work myself for a tank in a class

Great idea, so much can be learned from a marine aquarium. I still learn new things about mine all the time. A refractometer is a good tool for checking salinity. They are a little more expensive than a hydrometer. But they are easy to use, and I believe they are more accurate.

Well, we're having a hard time finding pure ammonia. We have checked 3 different stores and the only ones I can find have surfectants. I've heard Ace Hardware has some, but their closest store is 45 min. - 1 hour away so We're going to start cycling the 10 gallon with a cube of frozen fish food.

We just added the shrimp to start the cycling process. We took a water sample and each of the 3 oldest have used API test kits to get the following results.

salinity 1.026 after topping off with water
pH 7.8
GH & KH - We only have the kit for freshwater right now.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Back
Top Bottom