Clean-up Crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I need a clean up crew for my 55 gallon. I don't know what to get though, so here are a few things I've looked at:
Build-your-own from liveaquaria:
Scarlet reef hermits
Nassarius snails
Cerith snails

How many of each for this option? Any others I should add?

Or, the 55 gallon pack with hermits from reefcleaners, or the 50 gallon one, since they pack them so much. So, which would be best?

What about this?

5 scarlet reef hermits
15 nassarius snails
15 Cerith snails
1 fighting conch

Are the numbers good? Too high? Too low? Will that cover all that is needed of a clean up crew?

I'm following along to see what answers you get, but I think some additional info would be needed for people to respond. Like how your tank is stocked, feeding regimen, filtration setup, etc. Some CUC could go hungry if there isn't enough for them to cleanup!

- D

Bettababe1011 said:
What about this?

5 scarlet reef hermits
15 nassarius snails
15 Cerith snails
1 fighting conch

Are the numbers good? Too high? Too low? Will that cover all that is needed of a clean up crew?

If you just finished cycling I would do less sand snails. Cerith and nassarius both live in sand and you may not have enough food in tank to sustain 30. Maybe start with 5 each for now. Can always add later. Blue tip hermits are good too. They stay small.

Mpfaff77 said:
If you just finished cycling I would do less sand snails. Cerith and nassarius both live in sand and you may not have enough food in tank to sustain 30. Maybe start with 5 each for now. Can always add later. Blue tip hermits are good too. They stay small.

Could the blue tip go with the scarlets? I'm getting those cause I like them. I am still planning this tank, but its going to be a 55 gallon reef. I'm going to have a protien skimmer, not sure what brand. I would have to look at my lfs to be sure. Two koralia 750s. Live rock and sand, too.
My stock will be this:
2 clowns
1 royal gramma
2 purple firefish
1 orange lined cardinalfish
1 yellow lined wrasse
6 sexy shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 peppermint shrimp
And several various corals

Blue tips and Scarlets are fine together. I recommend highly reef octopus skimmers

Mpfaff77 said:
Blue tips and Scarlets are fine together. I recommend highly reef octopus skimmers

I've looked at them, but they're too expensive. I'm on a pretty tight budget, since my only income is the allowance I get from my parents.

Oh ok. Well just to start off a seaclone is prolly cheapest. Not great skimmer but ok for just starting new tank. I used one for first 3 years of reefing.

My lfs only has one type of skimmer. I'm not sure what brand. I also might put a wanted ad on craigslist and see if anyone has supplies they'd be willing to get rid of.

Bettababe1011 said:
My lfs only has one type of skimmer. I'm not sure what brand. I also might put a wanted ad on craigslist and see if anyone has supplies they'd be willing to get rid of.

Honestly online ordering is going to be way cheaper then LFS.

I will look... but this one is around 100. I haven't found any cheaper online. I'll look again, though.

Would I need the medium? It doesn't really say what tank size its for, at least that I saw.

Definitely not 15 nassarius snails in a 55. They are carnivores. they eat left over food. They will surely starve.
I would get 2 or more skunk cleaners and less, if any peppermints. Skunk cleaners are more social and do better in groups, while peppermints are not attractive and hide mostly.
A "clean up crew" if you want to call it that isn't really necessary. Nothing beats an algae scraper and a mag float, combined with water changes.
If you want little inverts, by all means, get some, but remember that they are eating, pooping creatures, and some need to have certain foods present in your system or they will die.

I'm not getting a clean up crew just to have them do the work for me. I know that wouldn't happen, I'm still keeping track of parameters, tank maintenance, etc. I do like these inverts, so that's why I'm getting them.
I like the peppermint shrimp too, so maybe one of those, so I would still have it, and three cleaners?
What all would I need to feed to keep the snails and hermits healthy? I figured they would need to be supplemented, just like my snails in freshwater do.
And does five of the two snails sound good, and then the fighting conch? Any other snails I should consider instead of these?
What about the skimmer I posted a link to?

That skimmer doesn't look to appealing to me. How much? What tank is it rated for?

Seaclone 100 is under 100 bucks. This is a ok skimmer. For anything good looking at like 200 minimum. If anything skimmer is the one thing you dont want to go cheap on.

image-2118209129.jpg

If you have to go 3 or 4 or even 6 months without a skimmer you better off then buy a good skimmer like reef octopus.

I want a skimmer... It may just take me longer before I can start the tank... :(
Without a skimmer, don't you need to do weekly water changes, and with it changes to every other week? I'm fine with water changes, it's just that salt and ro water get expensive in the long run. And I know I can't afford an ro system right away. I wouldn't be patient enough to wait that long before I can start my cycle... lol. So that'll come later.

You can still do water changes every other week with or without the skimmer. I think you can still start your tank and cycle. Put lots of rock in and do 15 or 20% changes every 2 weeks. Add the skimmer with in next 6 months. Make that your priority before you get a lot of livestock. Maybe only add 1 or 2 fish then focus on getting that skimmer. You other guys agree?? Tank should be ok without a skimmer for 6 months or so. I have read other ppl on this forum running without skimming.

Seaclones are not good skimmers as far as i've read. They are notoriously bad actually. Unless they've changed something recently, I'd go with something better.
The skimmer linked is an old design. Air stone skimmers worked, but the stones would clog up quickly and needed to be changed out fairly regularly, so manufacturers went to pumps with venturis and needle wheels. The skimmers of today are a night and day difference.

Your idea about a protein skimmer cutting your water changes in half are somewhat incorrect. You would be better served feeding less than using one for that purpose.
Every system is different and every person feeds and stocks differently also.
Trial and error would be the only way you would know for sure if you could cut your water changes in half.
Not only do water changes remove nutrients, they are also replenish lost trace elements. If this is to be a reef tank, regular water change could delete the need for manually dosing these elements.
As stated above, a decent protein skimmer for your system cannot be bought for 100 dollars.
I wouldn't do any water changes while your tank is cycling. You will interrupt the cycle if so.

Yeah sea clones are not good skimmers but I was thinking for entry level and for under 100. Good enough. But yes they are known as the sea clown. But honestly mine performed decent for first year or so. Then skimmate dropped a lot. I did see a huge huge huge difference when I got my reef octopus. I don't know of any cheaper skimmers tho. But I was thinking just to have something is better than nothing if that is all he can afford.

But......

I did say above that better off saving for a good skimmer for 6 months and run tank without a skimmer in the mean time.

Mr x I have been reading this site for long while and just recently joined and been posting. Love my new iPhone and this app. I know how knowledgable you are and have learned a lot from you. So thank you. Hopefully you don't think any less of me for recommending seaclone.

Back
Top Bottom