Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clean up crew

What recommendation would you make for a cuc for a 29 gallon reef?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Reefcleaners.org John is the man and he'll hook you up

Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Since a clean up crew isnt a necessary thing, I would say get what you like. If this is a new tank I would add just a couple of inverts at first, remember they also poop too so it doesnt really cut your bioload or help clean the tank in the end. If they eat algae they are just pooping it back out in a new form .lol
Old 03-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Only problem is the weather up here. It's super cold so shipping is out of the question till summer. Need to know recommendations I can get locally.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not a new tank
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So, do you like hermit crabs? How about snails? Or shrimp? I happen to love inverts so i always have a good amount, usually anyways. lol
I would add maybe 5-10 hermits (make sure you get extra shells, they kill each other for the shells)
and maybe 5 snails. I like the nassarius snails, they dont eat algae but they live under the sand. When you feed the tank they pop up like magic and look for the food. I love those guys.
And shrimp, just depends on your budget. Fire shrimp are bright red but about $30 each. Cleaners are nice too, maybe $20-$25 each. And peppermints are only a few bucks and active peppy little guys.
I would stay away from turbo snails, they are too big for that tank. Is there any other inverts you liked or saw that you had questions on?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do currently have some cuc I just wanted to make sure I have enough. I currently have 3 Astrea, 2 turbo, 2 blue leg hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 2 emerald crab. Is it enough , too much, should I get a bunch of nassarius sand sifters? And call it good?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good choices, I like the emeralds too.

If your sandbed is in good condition and you like what you have then sure, you are pretty much done. The nassarius snails are totally up to you, I find them fascinating. lol If you do get some, just get like 6 so you can enjoy them but not over whelm the tank.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm... I've successfully kept turbos in my 20g, for about 4 months, no problem. It's a little experiment. At least my LFS said they were turbos, but I don't see how's it's possible for them to live in my tank though.

+1 that the hermits need extra shells.

Shrimp are by far my favorite part of my CUC. I like cleaners the most because they jump around and swim to food, they just add an extra dimension to the tank.

Blue leg hermits would work really well. Red legs as well.

For snails, I've always liked nassarius snails and bumble bee snails too.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've had my turbo in my 20 for about a year. Thing is huge now lol. Cerith snails are pretty underrated

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com