Clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rybo

Aquarium Advice Regular
What recommendation would you make for a cuc for a 29 gallon reef?

Since a clean up crew isnt a necessary thing, I would say get what you like. If this is a new tank I would add just a couple of inverts at first, remember they also poop too so it doesnt really cut your bioload or help clean the tank in the end. If they eat algae they are just pooping it back out in a new form .lol

Only problem is the weather up here. It's super cold so shipping is out of the question till summer. Need to know recommendations I can get locally.

So, do you like hermit crabs? How about snails? Or shrimp? I happen to love inverts so i always have a good amount, usually anyways. lol
I would add maybe 5-10 hermits (make sure you get extra shells, they kill each other for the shells)
and maybe 5 snails. I like the nassarius snails, they dont eat algae but they live under the sand. When you feed the tank they pop up like magic and look for the food. I love those guys.
And shrimp, just depends on your budget. Fire shrimp are bright red but about $30 each. Cleaners are nice too, maybe $20-$25 each. And peppermints are only a few bucks and active peppy little guys. :)
I would stay away from turbo snails, they are too big for that tank. Is there any other inverts you liked or saw that you had questions on?

I do currently have some cuc I just wanted to make sure I have enough. I currently have 3 Astrea, 2 turbo, 2 blue leg hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 2 emerald crab. Is it enough , too much, should I get a bunch of nassarius sand sifters? And call it good?

Good choices, I like the emeralds too. :)

If your sandbed is in good condition and you like what you have then sure, you are pretty much done. The nassarius snails are totally up to you, I find them fascinating. lol If you do get some, just get like 6 so you can enjoy them but not over whelm the tank.

Hmm... I've successfully kept turbos in my 20g, for about 4 months, no problem. It's a little experiment. At least my LFS said they were turbos, but I don't see how's it's possible for them to live in my tank though.

+1 that the hermits need extra shells.

Shrimp are by far my favorite part of my CUC. I like cleaners the most because they jump around and swim to food, they just add an extra dimension to the tank.

Blue leg hermits would work really well. Red legs as well.

For snails, I've always liked nassarius snails and bumble bee snails too.

I've had my turbo in my 20 for about a year. Thing is huge now lol. Cerith snails are pretty underrated

I forgot I do have 1 peppermint shrimp. He's hiding a lot of the time. Could I get a cleaner shrimp or a fire shrimp as well?

I'm a big fan of ceriths as well. Great cleaners. I happen to like nerites too, but they constantly leave egg trails everywhere. lol

You can mix shrimp, just not coral banded ones. They are mean

+1. Stay away from the coral banded ones.. Mean little guys.

Other shrimp can be mixed fine. I've heard a couple stories of pepper mints being eaten by fire shrimp, but I'm pretty sure they were only molts.

And I have plenty of extra shells for the medium scarlet. But the blue legs are itty bitty. Never seen shells that smallanywhere

Actually I've heard the golden coral banded ones stay small an are peaceful. But yeah the big guys are jerks. When I worked at a lfs I had two in a bucket acclimating for maybe 5 minutes and one ripped the others arm off. It was a pretty thoughtless idea on my part but it just shows how aggressive they're

I really want a fire shrimp. Hope to get one soon. Will look for Nass or cerith tomorow. The cuc group is acclimating nicely

Back
Top Bottom