Clean up Crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I'm wondering what the best clean up crew would be for my 28-ish gallon marine tank. I have 13 dwarf cerith snails already, plus some beneficial algae. I do have plenty of bad stuff though, including some red and green microalgae on my coral gravel, microalgae on the tank glass, a little hair algae and some of that green algae that looks like tiny freckles on the tank glass. I am looking for something fairly active and decorative, reef safe and very peaceful. Also, not eating my red gracilara would be nice!

Are hermit crabs a good consideration? I read they can be bloodthirsty little suckers. :eek:
Especially when they want a turbo snail shell. ; )

Hermits spend there whole life looking for the perfect shell but will never be happy with any shell they have !!

If a nice looking snail or another hermit comes along and it wants the shell it will do its best to take it that's just hermit crabs for you a couple of snails here and there is a small price for the amount they will clear in my opinion :)

Are hermit crabs a good consideration? I read they can be bloodthirsty little suckers. :eek:
Especially when they want a turbo snail shell. ; )

that is very easily handled by providing empty shells of various sizes. I added about 50 long time ago and haven't had any issues of fighting over shells since. when I first added the shells I watched one crab change shells over 30 times before he settled on one, the one it had originally...LOL

emerald crabs will munch on algae more than hermits do, but hermits are great for cleaning up food.
chocolate chip stars will also eat the algae and bacterial film on the walls of the tank.

but by far the best clean-up crew addition's are a mag float cleaner, toothbrush and elbow grease....LOL

Back
Top Bottom