Clean up crew, how soon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im getting some large spots of what seems to be like green algea on one of my live rocks. I was wondering if it is safe ( and humane ) to add a clean up crew one week into a cycle? Or is this algea beneficial in any way?

They won't be able to stand the nitrite and ammonnia spikes. Gonna have to wait until the cycle is finished. Are you lighting the tank now? I believe there is no need to.

Ok.

I have the light on while im at work. 8-5 Id say, maybe a little longer.

Should I continue the cycle with no lights? Also will the algea spread at a fast rate?

While you're cycling, I'd say only water movement is needed. Ceck out the articles at this site on cycling a tank too.

Sure they need light, but I'm still wondering if the plants might suffer from the cycle too. Might've got that going too soon.

Have you had an ammonina spike yet?

I wouldn't have planted anything in the fuge at this stage. Austinsdad is correct in assuming that that the plants will suffer from the cycle.

The only reason to have any lights on during the cycle would be if you have LR in there and want to try and increase the chance or survival of the photosynthetic life on the rock. Downside of this is a potential uphill battle against algae. 4 hrs of lighting is all I would do in this case.

Back
Top Bottom