Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2003, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clean up crew over kill?

I am still in the research phase here and I should be starting my tank this weekend. After the cycling is complete however I planned on getting one of these "cleaning crews". For a 55 gal tank they recommend the following 12 Scarlet Hermits,24 Mexican Turbosnails and 35 Dwarf Red Tip Hermits. Can I get away with the smaller pack for a 35 tank that only has half this amount? My fear is that the critters do too good of job and their population will exceed the amount of food that is left for them.

Also am I correct in adding this package once the tank is truly cycled or can it be done prior to ?

Old 08-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Clean up crew over kill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlips12
Can I get away with the smaller pack for a 35 tank that only has half this amount? My fear is that the critters do too good of job and their population will exceed the amount of food that is left for them.
That is exactly what you should consider when choosing animals to keep the tank clean. Adding more animals than the tank can properly support will just end up with many empty shells. Personally, I would suggest more snails and less hermits. A good amount of nassarius, cerith and nerites will make hermits unneccessary believe it or not. Starting with half the suggested amount is safer and can always be added to later.

Quote:
Also am I correct in adding this package once the tank is truly cycled or can it be done prior to ?
True, waiting until the tank is properly cycled is the best time to add any animals. While there are still indications of NH4/NH3 or NO2, there should be no animal addtions.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that those mexican turbo snails get large. If you are planning on putting coral in your tank the smaller snails Steve mentioned would be a much better choice because they wont knock over coral as bad.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks guys

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com