Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clean up Crew Packages...

After doing the math, I know that the Clean up Crew packages online and in magazines are by far better for the money. However, do I REALLY need 100 Turbos, 100 Blueleg Hermits, 100 Nassarius, 12 Cerith, AND 2 emerald crabs? Geeze, that seems enough for BRENDEN's tank!!

So whats too much? Whats not enough?

I'd like to find good deal, but I also want to get whats right for my tank.

Anyone have links to where they got/have seen nice (smaller) packages?

I have a 90g, with 160 lb LR, about 4" sand bed. Diatoms are settling in nicely, and look to be staying a while. This is week 3 of my diatom bloom, after 3 big water changes.

Fish Art for Wearables
Seepu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
I'd visit http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...cfm?pCatId=420 for a cleaner kit. They have a pretty decent breakdown of what you are looking for.

Based on your tank and Diatoms I'd go with the "MEGA" Pak. $257

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=510

20 Crabs, 40 Snails, 65 Hermits, 4 or 24 Snails and 2 Blenny or Goby. (Varies)

Old 01-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually you could go with the 100 gal "Standard" Pack as well. Cheaper at $157 but shipping cost are no longer "Free" from site. You get 20 Scarlet hermits, 40 snails, 65 Dwarf Hermits.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=520
Old 01-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is the package I found...

http://www.reeftopia.com/Reeftopiaspecials.html

Much cheaper, and LOT'S more critters. It just seems like TOO much.

What happens to them all when theres nothing left to eat? I can't imagine that after the diatoms and algae have been cleaned up, there will be much for them to eat. If 200 snails, and 100 hermits are starving, wouldnt there be alot of death and decay in my tank to make my params go crazy? Then, when my water is sufficiently fouled, here comes the algae again...

Ill see if they will put together a smaller package maybe.

Fish Art for Wearables
Old 01-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
you also gotta realize alot of those snails or crabs will die one way or another so thats why they give you so many
Old 01-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The package on Reeftopia seems excessive to me. At least in MHO. Price is good, so I'd ask around and see if anyone wants to split / share with you. I have had a couple deaths on my "Mega" Pack but I think it's only about 5% Loss after the first week. Pending my total death count when I get home from a 2 week trip.

Feeding is a breeze. Drop in some dry seaweed once a week and the hermits go crazy for the stuff.

In some packages the hermits are VERY small. I almost tossed one away thing it was a shell only. Too small to be a hermit.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok.. I will call them and see if they can put together a package more to my liking.

How big do the blue hermits get anyway? I cant find definitive mature sizes, so I'm guessing about 1 1/2" ?

Fish Art for Wearables
Old 01-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure on the hermit sizes. Depends on the shell really. The max size I have is less than 1/2" and thats with a wide shell. Most are about 1/4" it appears.

The snails are HUGE sometimes. Most mine are pretty Small - Medium so its cool. The Liveaquaria pack had zebra hermits (no blue avail at the time). So it's a 50/50 chance on what you get. I lost a couple of my older scarlets and I'm not sure why, but it was shortly after all the new critters got into the tank.

HackTeck is right. Over time you'll lose some of these guys. Food supply, conflicts, etc. Just gradually over time. I just repopulate one a month or when I'm at the LFS and see something else.

Tags
clean, clean up crew

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com