Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to fergieturk
Cleaner Shrimp

Do cleaner shrimp tend to stay hidden all the time? We had one that would come out only when we were messing with the tank - moving rocks and such. We haven't seen her in a week - we call her Mia a.k.a. Missing in Action.
Is it possible she set up a cleaning station in the back and just doesn't come out any more? We miss our little shrimp and hope she hasn't gone to the big ocean in the sky.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of cleaner shrimp is it? The skunk cleaner is about the only one that seems to be really visible, the others tend to behave just like you describe, although sometimes multiple shrimp will cause them to be more social.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 2 peppermint and a shunk. The shunk definitly comes out the most, but my peppermint come out quite often as well.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
The peppermints (3 in total) come out during feeding time and just to see whats going on ever now and again. They tend to be wimps and skuttle back to whatever rock they're hiding under as soon as a fish comes near them. The skunk cleaner loves being out. He's one of our favorite guys because he's so visible, and of course watching him clean is the coolest thing ever. The fire shrimp is the biggest guy in the tank, but the biggest wimp also. He gets scared by the little guys every time. You should see the claws on this guy. Oh well. 8)

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The shrimp is a shunk cleaner. I also have 6 peppermints. Didn't see again today. Do you think I should get a couple more or will the cleaners join with the peppermints?
Old 05-28-2003, 10:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

it might be molting, or it might be dead. Doubtful that you wouldn't see it for a week, not even at feeding time.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bummer...None of my shrimp really come out at feeding time - they just eat whatever they find on the rocks at night. Although they have been known to steal the piece of fresh shrimp or salmon I give to my starfish.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

She's alive!
Mia made a brief appearance today during dinner. My question now is should I get another skunk cleaner to keep her company or do you think she likes the peppermints?
Old 05-29-2003, 06:52 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
or do you think she likes the peppermints?
Well the peppermints are pretty good with a little cocktail sauce ..............., I would get the shrimp another of it's own kind. It may or may not have the effect of making it more visible, but it will almost definitely make it more comfortable.

Old 05-29-2003, 08:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
if you keep 2 cleaners together one will start to carry eggs.

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com