Cleaner Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

My question for this week pertains to cleaner shrimp. Currently I have 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp in my 75gal reef, with 5 small to med size fish. I really like the blood red fire shrimp as well. Would it be advisable to add 2 blood red shrimp, or would this cause problems with my shrimp population?

Thanks in advance! :onfire:

I have a 30gal (42 US) tank cycling atm, would I be ok with 1 each of peppermint, cleaner & Blood?

Cheers Shelton.

In a 30 gal. you might be a bit tight. You will not see your peppermint much, they hang out under LR. A cleaner would be great. I have never kept a blood and cleaner together in that small of tank so I can't really say how it would go. Good Luck...Lando

You think I might be better off then with say a couple of cleaners & some snails?

I also thought about a couple of blue or red hermit crabs & maybe one each of a red & blue starfish......

Will the fact I have just LR in my tank upset any of the above?

Cheers Shelton.

In my 75g, I've got 4 peppermint, 3 large cleaner and 2 small cleaners, 3 blood red, and a pistol under the ground. All have been doing extremely well and I see all of them often. It seems when there are at least 3 of any of'm, maybe they feel strength in numbers and come out front a lot more IMO.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am about to get another cleaner shrimp. I have two cleaners and one blood and they live happily together. But my cleaner shrimps seems to have lost interest in cleaning the fishes. That might be because they have been laying eggs and too busy to carry out their natural routine.

So I am hoping to get a third cleaner to do this job again. Does anyone know whether introducing a third cleaner to a mated pair will cause problem?

They are hermaphrodites, so no such thing as a "mated pair" :wink:

It's also normal for them to lose interest in cleaning once they realise they get fed without having to work.

They are hermaphrodites, so no such thing as a "mated pair"
So are clowns and they form pairs. I have 3 cleaners, two of them are close one of which is carrying eggs, the third is usually by his/her-self FWIW. Kwan, there should not be a problem, just some occasional squabbles.

MT79 said:
They are hermaphrodites, so no such thing as a "mated pair"
So are clowns and they form pairs. I have 3 cleaners, two of them are close one of which is carrying eggs, the third is usually by his/her-self FWIW. Kwan, there should not be a problem, just some occasional squabbles.
Clowns aren't hermaphrodites.. they are either male or female at any given time.

They are hermaphroditic I should say- meaning they can go from male to female. "Mated pair" is a fairly loose term-if 2 shrimp are successfully spawning whether hermaphrodites or not I'd say that's a mated pair. That may be JMO/interpretation...if I'm wrong feel free to let me know!
Edit: I just noticed BOTH of the shrimp that "hang" together are carrying eggs, but not the "outcast" so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom